Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

Virtually nobody has that bad of a reaction to the vaccine.

You’re going to be fine.

also you were vaccinated when you wound up with long covid, so that doesn’t give a high value to the vaccine imo

True, although I wasn’t boosted. I got my vaccines in March & April 2021 and got Covid in January 2022, 9 months later.

My worst reaction was to j&j, which i had as a booster.

In order, i had
P1, P2, J3, M4

Reactions, from mildest to worst were

P1<P2<<M4<<<<J3

J&J stung going in, then, after a few hours, i ached all over. And my joints ached for a few days after getting it.

But i wasn’t incapacitated after any of them, except that i took a nap after both the boosters.

booster & flu next Friday

I know about 15 people that have had COVID. 2 of them have had recurring brain fog for over a year, 1 of them still can’t go for walks of more than about .25 mi since winter of 2020, and 1 other lost her sense of taste for 9 months.

Yes, COVID is worse than the 24-36 hours of minor inconvenience.

Oh weird, i dont know anyone who had covid, let alone 15 whole people

I know a gazillion people who’ve had covid, and most were sick for about a week and then got better. But most were also younger than i am.

Of people around my age, a lot have had lingering symptoms, including two who are thinking they need to retire due to those debilitating symptoms.

Of people older than me, most who got covid are dead. To be fair, they would have had decent odds to be killed by flu, if they’d gotten that.

1 Like

I thought a bunch of your family has had covid.

1 Like

I’m trying to recall my reactions, and this thread was useful in that regard as I’d forgotten.

Seems my reactions were

M3 >>>>>> P1 > P2

So now I’m thinking that maybe I want to go back to Pfizer for my fourth jab, but it sounds like they are going to suggest whatever my most recent shot was, which is Moderna. Argh!!!

Maybe I’ll just show up somewhere without an appointment (or make an appointment for flu only but at a place that also does Covid) and see if I can choose.

Your father?

The pharmacy I normally use seems to only have Pfizer. I had no effects from the one Pfizer dose I’ve had other than a mildly tender shoulder like with most vaccines. I think I’d have chosen Moderna if they had both but I don’t care enough to seek it out.

um, do i really need to bring out the red font here? i’m from new york. literally it’s less common for someone to have not had covid here at this point.

All the local pharmacies say online which vaccine they have. I wanted Moderna for my last dose, and got it by booking an appointment at a place that only had Moderna.

1 Like

This is true where I live as well.

If you want a particular brand, you need to plan accordingly.

I got my fifth dose of Pfizer yesterday.

Feel like sh*t today, with fatigue, body aches, and a low grade fever, similar to the prior 4 doses. It’s not unexpected, and not having anything that particularly needed to be done this weekend helped define the timing.

My wife and I were supposed to get flu shots as well, but apparently that didn’t get communicated to the pharmcy, which was very busy, and a weird insurance issue we had didn’t help matters. I’ll get my flu shot when I go get my second shingles shot next month. (Not looking forward to that.)

1 Like

I actually went ahead and scheduled with CVS and they gave me a choice between Pfizer and Moderna without asking me which vaccines I’ve already had. It’s at the second-closest CVS, not the closest. I’m debating walking though, if the weather is good.

Covid and flu at the same time.

my neighbor who i grew up with had a bad reaction to her first dose of pfizer and the symptoms lingered for months. not sure if she ever got over it or went back for a 2nd dose. the vaccine isn’t without its risks.

I’m considering my closer family members as to how i’d likely be with covid, not mountainhawks random friends or whatever. I’d think in terms of genetics I’m more likely to be like my family members in this.

for that -

father - had covid classic in march, 2020. it turned into a minor bought of pneumonia and he recovered despite being given hydroxychloroquine. i have some concerns about my mother and sister and his nurse’s decision not to get him the omicron booster though since he can get covid again and not be that lucky this time. anyway, he was 85 during his first bout of covid and is now almost 88. i think his foot infection that put him in the hospital and then nursing home where he contracted covid had way more long-term consequences than covid.

mother’s youngest brother - had covid classic in march/april, 2020. said it was extremely minor and that the vaccine had WORSE symptoms than the actual virus for him. his wife, my aunt in-law had long-term health consequences from covid. i think her kidneys? are shot. i don’t count her as i’m not related to her.

father’s brother - had what was either delta or omicron in late fall, 2021 that like my father he caught in a nursing home. not sure which variant because the crossover happened then. also like my father came down with pneumonia. somehow got through it, but he died maybe 4 months later when his heart stopped in his sleep. possible that covid weakened him, but he was already in bad health and he was 94, so i can’t really compare myself there.

sister - had what was likely omicron in december, 2021. she had a scary moment trying to get home from atlantic city thinking she would pass out on the bus, but took advil and that made her okay enough to make it home where that feeling was temporary and she started feeling better the next day. in the end said the flu was worse.

mother - had what was also likely omicron in january, 2022. it was just a bad cold for her.

mother’s middle brother - had omicron a few months ago. had it wiped out immediately by those new awesome drugs they have now.

so i’m thinking genetics are on my side here to not do so badly with covid.

i know many others who had covid outside my family with it varying in how bad it was for them.

got the stupid vaccine and now my arm is killing me. :frowning_with_open_mouth: it took about 4 hours from vaccine to arm pain.

these side effects are pretty unpleasant. i kept waking up in the middle of the night extremely thirsty, so i’d chug water and then wake up still thirsty but also having to pee. so i’d pee and chug more water and repeat. arm is killing me, and i feel slightly fevery. staying upright is a challenge today. hopefully this subsides by tomorrow cause i have a lot of work to do.

I call that having insomnia. Fortunately it doesn’t happen terribly often, but it’s not an uncommon problem for me.