Why Do We Demand Negative News?

Yep, how much do Americans consume foreign media versus the reverse?

I feel like this addressed that:

1 Like

The Economist definitely has a lot of American readers, myself included. But I think it’s something of an outlier.

Seems like any major international city I’ve been in you could find USA Today’s international edition, but I sorta assumed that was more geared to ex-pats and American tourists than to locals. It seemed fairly US-centric the times I’ve read it. Like they’re not even really trying for an audience that includes locals.

CNN International seems like it might be a little bit more trying to reel in an actual international audience rather than just Americans who aren’t presently in America. But whether they’re succeeding or not … no idea.

2 Likes

We’re doing that with the US border right now. Nothing has changed at the border from Obama to Trump to Biden. But growing awareness of the situation combined with the desire to blame someone for political gain is slowly driving coverage to be more and more negative.

People literally asked Biden yesterday if him being compassionate is a problem driving more migrants to the border? WTH, no we do not need another complete a-hole in the office to solve this problem.

Do we demand negative news? I don’t think so. I do not think people demand negative news. News is defined as new information or noteworthy events. People are stimulated by negative news. It spurs a base response not unlike the difference between a deer smelling a sweet clump of clover versus smelling a hint of wolves on the breeze. We do demand negative entertainment. Well more accurately we demand exciting entertainment, a hint of wolves on the breeze but from our safe comfy couch.

A truism; negative indicates a need for change or avoidance, positive indicates continuing as is. Negative sells. (Here’s where I go off on a tangent about American consumerism and marketing and the effect on nearly every decision in a person’s life) News is sold as entertainment. Our consumerist culture tells us everything should entertain you. The dullness of reality isn’t ‘real’ enough they have to twist and trim out the mundane to make it entertaining. A significant problem with news media is the blending of news and commentary (analysis falls under commentary) such that it is difficult to separate one from the other. Since negative sells, and the news media is in business to sell us viewing time (Keep Watching!), when the news isn’t negative enough they use the commentary to heighten the negative.

1 Like

news = 1st world luxury

Nick, buddy, how is Yuma these days?

Are you asking for negative news?

i think he is demanding it

1 Like

Hot, need a new car so heading to Vegas next weekend with a few $'s.

My response does attend to this question; albeit, it is likely to be one of those chicken-egg cyclical-driven situations.