Why didn't the US just beef up Hawaii after Pearl Harbor

THEY MADE US DO IT!!!

Anywho, not proud. Just don’t fuck with us.

Oh, I know, just a bunch of Japanese pranksters vandalizing our property. And we shouldn’t have to kill them to stop them.
I mean, how much is a human life worth, in terms of material objects like battleships and planes and American humans?

actually, i heard japan later thanked the US for dropping the bombs. Because if they didn’t, the war would have dragged on with casualties multiplied. And Japan would’ve lost in the end anyway

I bet the US wished they had just let Japan steamroll through China right about now.

Well, Japanese live significantly longer. So they win in value everything else held constant

Well, we’re working on that, exporting our shitty fast food.

Do you think that there’s a social studies forum online somewhere where there are high school history teachers debating the factors that influence their auto insurance rates?

1 Like

Yes.
But they mostly complain about how they don’t understand it.

1 Like

That was actually touched upon in my high school economics class (which also covered things like balancing checkbooks).

That’s fair, although I’m assuming that Churchill/UK and the exiled governments of France, Poland, Belgium, Luxembourg. Netherlands, Norway, Greece, Yugoslavia, and Czechoslovakia would have kept fighting. Maybe Canada too, given their ties to England, though I confess to not being well versed in the Canadian involvement in the war.

They wouldn’t have had the power to pull off D-Day, so it’s a little unclear how the fight on the Western front would have gone. But I think it would have existed.

I’m also not clear on the extent to which Australia and New Zealand were involved in the European theater. Japan invaded Australia, but I think they were already fighting in Europe before that happened.

I would also agree with that. Roosevelt wanted to get involved long before Pearl Harbor.

Desire to continue the fight? Most likely.

Capable of waging an effective war? Not likely. Fighting an offensive war (which the Allies were doing in order to recapture territory occupied by Germany) basically requires a steady stream of fresh troops (including experienced soldiers returning from R&R) and war materiel. The US was supplying quite a bit of the latter (much of it done “under the table”) before their entry into the European theater.

Just as important would be political support from the home front. This lack is what kept the US out for so long. The British citizenry were starting to grow tired/weary and weren’t seeing much value in using their resources for another nation’s benefit when it was feared that they just might need them to actively defend their own country from invasion. (Keep in mind that once the Allies go into a defensive posture, Hitler ends up securing his own position in the occupied territories. Essentially, it’ll give the signal to the world that Hitler is winning.)

They had their own beachhead on D-Day for one.

I believe they were most notably involved in the North African campaign

1 Like

North Africa to some extent, but far more in Greece and the eastern Mediterranean.

1 Like

Mostly because of no petroleum. Germans went quickly to take take Baku, but failed, falling about 250 miles short. It also meant invading Russia, and that didn’t go so well.

Japan went for Indonesia, nd tried to control the Pacific by taking out the US fleet and capturing Singapore. The Pearl Harbor thing as a fluke loss only because all 3 US aircraft carriers were out at sea that Sunday. Those carriers were decisive in the battle of Midway, which pretty much ended Japanese dominance in the Pacific.

1 Like

This was also why holding Greece and the Balkans were so important.

I’m late to the party, but Genghis Khan said, hold my kumis. (Basically, I just wanted to reference that terrible drink.)

1 Like

I hadn’t realized that they were actually drafting soldiers in 1940. Basically knew the rest of that, but I have had to correct people who claimed that Pearl Harbor was the start of WWII.

Yep. Coincidentally, I saw a few family history newspaper clippings recently. One, from Dec 23, 1940, had a story about my relatives hosting out of town visitors, and another on the first inductees from this community. I was surprised.

Interesting factoid, the Act included:

Persons inducted into the land forces of the United States under this Act shall not be employed beyond the limits of the Western Hemisphere except in the Territories and possessions of the United States, including the Philippine Islands .

Also, in October 1940,

I have said this before, but I shall say it again, and again, and again. Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign war.
(wild applause)

Talk about lies in campaign promises.