When Sports and Politics Collide

Thought this was interesting. Republican Reddit is melting down over a Black National Anthem played at the Super Bowl. I didn’t watch, anybody have an opinion?

Sentiments are in the vein of “isn’t this promoting apartheid?”, “if they can kneel for our anthem I’m going to sit for theirs”, “there’s no negro national anthem, there’s only a song a bunch of pissy, irrelevant ingrates threw a tantrum over”, “sounds like [black] privilege to me”.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Republican/comments/1ap2y7s/democratic_congressman_hits_super_bowl_fans_for/

NFL does something like this every Super Bowl. National Anthem, #Murica the Bootiful, and some church choir thing (maybe it’s the same every year, maybe not – singing is not needed at football games, IMO). It’s like they’ve never seen a Super Bowl before or they just discovered the internet and now their opinion is automatically valid.

What is the Black national anthem and why is it important?

“Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” was originally written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson, but his brother J. Rosamond, turned it into music. The song was performed for the first time in 1900, not long after it was written.

The NAACP dubbed “Lift Every Voice and Sing” as the Black national anthem in 1919, more than a decade before “The Star Spangled Banner” was named the national anthem.

The song quickly became a popular song during the civil rights movement, and was even sung by crowds following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963.

It’s been played for a few years now. I give it the same attention I give the non-black national anthem, which the Dallas Mavericks showed a couple years back can be skipped and no one notices or cares.