When do you NEED the AAA credential?

Why is it convenient if you are signing NAIC reserve reviews?

Because it’s the default credential that the state is probably looking for. Most of the other stuff was put in to grandfather people who were already doing that.

I started filling out the membership application at one point but a couple of the questions stumped me. Like “why do you want to be MAAA?” The only things I could think of were “more letters” and “because I think you can spend my employer’s money better than my employer’s shareholders can”. But I didn’t really feel comfortable writing either of those things down so I abandoned the application.

eh. I have no recollection of answering the question. Suffice to say I probably wrote something dumb like “because my employer is paying for it”

I really don’t think it matters what you put

Yeah. I think if I was going to apply now I’d just say “to support the profession”. If they send me a new FCAS mailer similar to when I was a new ACAS I’ll probably join.

My coworker put something like for ce credits and because my employer requires it and i copied

Its a really silly question. I doubt they need a great answer. I think for the most part people join because their employer requires it so why not put just that?

I had a good run, but I have succumbed, submitted my application today. I’m being asked to start signing some filings, so it must be done! Sad.

3 Likes

I’ve had the AAA credential for most of my career despite the fact that I’ve never signed anything. Dropped it when I got to my current job because I was the only actuary on staff and didn’t want to have the company pay for something that was unnecessary. We just hired another actuary in the spring, I mentioned the credential thing to him and he said we’ll discuss it at renewal time.

1 Like

If it were the case that all states would always accept my ACAS for the purposes of filing, I would drop the MAAA in a heartbeat, and I didn’t always have MAAA either. But the megacorp I work for pays for it, so I just enter my credit card into and move on with life.