What's the #1 Google Search result for "actuary forum" and "actuarial forum"?

Writing Python packages, even just 1, is pretty much a full-time job. 1 good package focusing on something really specific (like a reserving dashboard) would require like a team of 5 engineers working full time on it. It’s just not something easily done by one person in their spare time. The guys working on the chainladder packages say that there just aren’t enough developers to make them as good as they can be.

No idea, something odd about your search results. Try going incognito mode and doing a search.

My results are fine. #1 is this site with a bunch of results, then the twitter account, then linkedin, then a bunch of pages that reference the site like reddit.

Ah, I see the problem. When I try to search (incognito) for “goactuary” google helpfully corrects the search term to “actuary”, and pulls up sites about what an actuary is, “beanactuary”, etc.

Also, if I’m not careful, instead of a google search, I get a website search, and verizon tells me the site doesn’t exist.

But if I carefully force the computer to do a google search, and then tell it, “no, I really mean goactuary”, I do find the site.

My phone is actually doing the same thing. (not incognito, just in the search box) If I click on the little “yes, dammit, I meant goactuary not actuary” button, I find the top of this site, although not the forum. But I can get to the forum from the top of the site.

There are couple of ways you can get free volunteers, which I have tried in the past:

1. Give them a certificate or a letter after they have contributed.
  2. Make it time bound like 2 months, this way more individuals would be interested as they now, they only have to contribute at max of 2 months.
  3. Reach out to more people using LinkedIn and other social media.
  4. Focus on Why are you doing, how it is helpful to them to volunteer in your initiative.
  5. Add more benefits such as, you would be part of active group of actuaries that are happy to help you in any way possible or it helps you increase your network or it helps you to improve your communication skills, etc.
  6. Be absolutely clear what is expected from them and in what time frame. Clarity brings professionalism
  7. Give them credits for their work, post on social media that how thankful you are for their contributions or mention their names on your website, etc.

Some of the above not work, but I am sure, it would help you get more people when done right.

This is how stuff like putting together the exams and exam grading goes. Pretty much all credentialed actuaries can do grading, and most can be trained to write exam questions [though fewer are needed for that]. So showing appreciation, actively recruiting people, etc., does help.

Producing material to be used as original sources for exams has a lot fewer people who are able to do it (and, more importantly, enjoy doing it.)

I have written lots of things for SOA publications for free, but all of it has been stuff I find interesting to write about. Not textbooks. That’s a “pay me” situation. And I enjoy writing, which is not really that common among people in general, nor among actuaries in specific.

1 Like