What are you reading?

I’m now reading through whatever books were next available for me to check out on Libby, but the next one I’m excited to read is Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey, the fourth book in The Expanse series. After that I plan to start either The Way of Kings or Warbreaker, both by Brandon Sanderson.

I found I couldn’t stop reading The Expanse novels until I had read all nine of them, but I have been a SciFi addict my whole life. Good luck moving onto something else after reading Cibola Burn.

Haha thanks. Luckily it seems like the wait for The Expanse books at my library is quite short so I can keep going with them if I feel like I have to.

Edit: I actually just checked and all remaining books in the series have no wait at all on them.

1 Like

Do you have any other SciFi series you would recommend?

There are lots of individual SciFi books I have liked but, as for series, I like the “classics” like Dune and Foundation.

Thanks! I’m also interested in individual book recommendations.

Picking a Beach Book

Next genre - Fantasy / Magical Realism

I have a complete set of Poe - not all Fantasy, but enough - enough that not worth skipping portions
I will skip stories I have read before

I finished The Last Devil To Die, the fourth book from the Thursday Murder Club series. It’s another one where it changes tone and pace in the middle of the book - maybe at 3/4 of the way? - and I think it hurts the book. It gets more serious and slows down for good reason, so that isn’t so bad, but it just never recovers and I found I lost some focus on the book through the rest of it. As had been hinted in previous books, Steven’s Alzheimers gets to the point where he can’t continue to live with Elizabeth. However, rather than moving him to an Alzheimer’s facility, they decide on euthanasia, which is written as a major shock. And that meant that a lot of time had to be spent in the characters’ reaction to that. So the book loses the murder plot for quite a while and it can’t pick up from where it left off, of course. As far as the mystery part goes, I anticipated a couple big reveals, although it didn’t hurt the book.

It is summer reading program time again, so I’ll be skipping the longer books I’d had planned and going back to the shorter list to see what’s next.

Have ordered Mathematics and Mental Growth by Irving Adler. Some of the more serious mathematicians here might recognize his name?

Irving Adler was a first cousin of my wife’s father so I have long felt I should at least read one of his books. It was well reviewed by Isaac Asimov when it first came out so that is good enough for me.

Adler was an interesting character politically and, like my FIL, was considered “Unamerican” in the 1950’s. Probably would still be viewed that way today.

Yes, it was a bit of a shock. Very sad. I’ve always wondered what the author would do with this character. Didn’t expect that.

so after Fantasy, Poetry, so using the Poe collection to kill two birds

Not ravens, I hope.

1 Like

nevermore

I finished A Psalm for the Wild-Built. It’s very short. It could very well have just been a section of a longer book - especially since it is clearly set up to be continued. I liked the book. It’s kind of a very light philosophical sci fi / very mild adventure story / buddy story. When robots somehow became sentient, people decided to let them decide their future and they decide to go off into what becomes a kind of a forbidden robot area and learn for themselves. The humans avoid factories to avoid creating more sentient robots. A long time later, a young monk struggling to find himself goes into the robot area and meets a robot who is on a mission to learn more about humans.

One section about the monk first striking out on his own seemed really out of place, but the rest was good, although, as I said, truncated.

Oh, and it’s the first book I"ve read where the main character is a “they”. I’m just not used to it yet. Over and over I kept hitting “they” and then wondering whether it is referring to the main character or both the main character and the robot. Or that I’d lost attention and missed the presence of another character. I found it pretty distracting and don’t suppose I’ll really ever get over that, as there always will the question of who or what is being referred to. It is certainly not always clear by context. I wish there was an easier way. The robot’s pronoun is “it”, btw.

God Save Benedict Arnold: The True Story of America’s Most Hated Man
Author: Jack Kelly

Just started my re-read of the Stormlight Archive by Sanderson (on audiobook), in preparation for the December release of book 5!

1 Like

Next genre, True Crime, this is the one genre that I get from the library, I guess I can put it under non-fiction, but seems to be a fairly clear category unto itself

The Stranger Beside Me - Ann Rule

The Enchantress of Numbers by Jennifer Chiaverini.

Actuarial tables mentioned, in reference to Charles Babbage.

“Close to Death” by Anthony Horowitz. This is the latest book in his Detective Daniel Hawthorne series(#5).

Started Solito by Javier Zamora.