We Love The CAS Website

I stumbled across the website https://www.welovethecas.com. Does anyone know what it is about? Is it a board similar to this, a cynically named website who hates on the CAS, or a group who feels they love the CAS but need to save it? Or is it something else entirely?

Some other discussions (found by using the search function; just sayin’ :wink: ):

But having its own thread isn’t a bad idea, either.

very much this. what they loved and how they loved it, open to debate (not for me to join in on). read VA’s links

They are mostly a bunch of old white men who are upset that the CAS wants to increase its diversity and that a CAS staffer put pronouns in her by-line. They have failed to notice that the CAS is trying to increase diversity by advertising to excluded groups, and not by changing the exams. So they are worried that the CAS plans to drop its standards.

Oh, and one of the publications they sent as spam included some really racist crap, buried in the middle.

My guess is that their membership spans the range from cranky old guys who jump to conclusions through really vile bigots.

3 Likes

Should be fine for CAS unless they do something like the college credit for exam credit swap like the SOA

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I was morbidly curious but not curious enough to give them my CAS credentials and real name.

1 Like

GET OFF MY SPREADSHEET!

2 Likes

And stop coloring the tabs in rainbow formation!!!

3 Likes

You can do that?

Edit: Wow, you can. My spreadsheets have found a whole new life!

3 Likes

Color the tabs? Sure! How else do you identify which tabs have data, which tabs have analysis, which tabs have printable summaries, which tabs should be ignored, which tabs are to be “saved” as PDFs and submitted to D’sOI,…

Right-click on the tab name, and “tab color” is right there in the middle of the pop-up menu.

Ninja’d!

6 Likes

you hide these

I didn’t realise the CAS also had this sort of drama going on.

3 Likes

What’s up in your professional org? (And which is it?)

MP covered this in a previous thread. We had lots of drama in the IfoA over the last few years.

Everything just keeps getting worse

Whenever I go to urgent care or the dr’s office I’m almost always seen by a nurse practitioner or physicians assistant

One of these days it’s gonna cost me my life

And yeah SOA and CAS need to cut it out. While the profession could sorely use some more diversity, we should not compromise the credentialing standards.

I’m not sure when this has ever occurred or has even been proposed as an idea.
That seems just as racist not allowing certain minorities to take the exams because they are certain not to pass.

Mostly I’m just taking a shot at the SOA’s UEC program which they claimed was in part to expand the profession’s DEI

Not really sure what parallel you are trying to draw there with your second statement tho

Believing that the exams need to be adjusted for a minority group requires a belief that the minority group is somehow, in general, inferior.

Now, I’m not say you think think this, but it seems that some people think other people think this (I guess that includes myself!), and that they think that CAS or SOA is planning to deliberately make the exams easier for some people based on this inferiorness.
And, I do not see any evidence of this.
Reaching out to a more diverse bunch of people, telling them about the profession, seems a good way to find those diamonds in the rough.

1 Like

There are a LOT of caveats here.

Reaching out (marketing and comms really) is important, but it should not be at the expense of diluting standards simply to fill in internal DEI quotas.

We had lots of discussions about this in the UK and overall it has been a net positive experience (standards were kept high when it came to hiring).

But if you fall into trap of “admitting and hiring a person simply because they tick a few boxes” it can be very problematic.

1 Like