Waukesha WI parade

Developing story. WTF?!?!

Having kids who participated in marching band for years, I recall thinking how such a thing could happen either accidentally or on purpose.

Was the most recently updated story I saw as of now.

Saw it pop up on my bbc feed this morning. A truly dumb tragedy. No terrorism, no intent, no political motive, just a f**king idiot; at least based on what we know so far. And now many peoples’ lives are gone, ruined, or irrecoverably traumatised.

There’s a Twitter page that was sending out updates off the scanner, which then broadcast the name of someone the police are allegedly looking for, and holy shit did all the trolls crawl out of the woodwork.

them’s terrists

Civilised people should avoid Twitter. (Instagram and FB, too, with (maybe) the exception of family members and close friends)

1 Like

How do you accidentally drive through parade barricades and then keep going with no intent to kill anyone?

Even if drunk as a skunk, it shouldn’t take that long to realize “huh, I f***ed up and should stop”.

I can’t see how this could possibly be an accident. No clue as to motive though as it seems just bonkers.

My point was they don’t appear to have driven through the parade for the purpose of driving through the parade (this hinges on the fleeing from another crime angle I last read). They still decided to do it, yes, but as a consequence of other circumstances.

It may not have been premeditated (unlike the Bastille Day celebration in Nice, which is what this reminds me of), but there was intent.

You’re not wrong. I think I initially qualified it as indifference, which is sorta the opposite, but kinda the same.

1 Like

Agreed, but no need for exceptions. People you know can tell you what you want to know the old-fashioned way.

Waukesha County circuit court released the criminal complaint yesterday. From the eye witness account of the officer at the parade, and parade goers detectives interviewed, he intentionally tried to hit as many people as possible.

This paragraph stuck out specifically:

The vehicle then got to the intersection of East Main Street and NW Barstow Street, and it appeared the brakes were activated. Office Butryn believed the vehicle was going to come to a stop and attempt to make a right hand turn out of the parade route, onto NW Barstow Street. However, the vehicle then appeared to rapidly accelerate, as Officer Butryn heard tires squeal. The vehicle took an abrupt left turn into the crowd of parade participants. At this point, it was clear to Officer Butryn that this was an intentional act to strike and hurt as many people as possible. Officer Butryn continued to run westbound on East Main Street, trailing the vehicle and its path. He observed the vehicle appeared to be intentionally moving side to side, striking multiple people, and bodies and objects were flying from the area of the vehicle. As Officer Butryn got to the area of the Subway restaurant on East Main Street, Officer Butryn began to encounter multiple casualties. Multiple people were pulling at him, saying that they needed assistance with injured parties. Based on the on-going threat of the vehicle and the occupant, Officer Butryn asked those assisting with the casualties as he passed, if they were breathing, and advised them to stay with them and that ambulances were on the way. Officer Butryn continued to chase after the vehicle on foot in order to stop the threat the driver posed.

Source (click on 2021CF001848 next to Criminal Complaint): Waukesha County - Circuit Courts

Gee, that doesn’t sound like all the initial news reports that told us he was fleeing a different incident and didn’t have a terroristic, political, nor violent intent. Did the public get mislead by the media reporting again???

1 Like

Wow, so that sounds exactly like Nice, but with a smaller vehicle. I wonder if he was inspired by the Nice / Bastille Day attack. :rage:

It’s time to move this thread out of General and over to Political.

(or hasn’t the media started to report on the social media rantings of the “alleged” murdering terrorist)

For someone trying to hit as many people as possible there was def a clip of the car zig zagging around some people - and not so more people could be hit.

But whatever the intent, it was bad and he will be tried on serious charges

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

:game_die: 10

@discobot roll 5d69

:game_die: 13, 21, 17, 49, 17