Voter suppression success story

A reality check. Out of those thousands of rejected ballots, how many were submitted by people who were eligible to vote? Voter fraud in most of the US is extremely rare, and even if the number of rejected votes drops significantly in Dec, the number of Texas ballots rejected from eligible voters attempting to vote will be significantly larger than the number of fraudulent Texas ballots rejected. There are voter suppression laws more onerous than Texas’s.

I guess you haven’t heard of “souls to the polls”? This article refers to in person voting, but my state doesn’t have Sunday voting. I certainly am not claiming there is any coercion in the process, but many churches here have a Sunday mail-in ballot fill out session.

I am familiar with souls to the polls. I have never heard of a group absentee ballot “fill out session” and have been completely unsuccessful in finding any article discussing its prevalence. Do you have any links to that instead of about in-person voting?

Fair question. No links, sorry, that was the quickest I could find. My source regarding fill out sessions was word-of-mouth, but source is generally knowledgeable and trustworthy. Didn’t get confirmation of whether it was first hand or second hand, which makes it more suspect, but knowing what is documented by press in my state, it would be legal and unremarkable. It would take more internet sleuthing that I can spend since Friday has been changed from a DNGAF to “Monday deadline” due to a new request.

That might be a good indication of the comparative prevalence of this activity given a quick Google search of souls to the polls give me

About 4,990,000 results (0.81 seconds)

True story. Long ago, 60’s? 80’s? my mother volunteered to drive people to the polls. At least once she found out a voter was planning to vote for a Republican she considered worse than most. She drove them anyway. At least once she was asked whom she wanted the passinger to vote for. She said whomever he wanted, but that she had voted for __ (the democrat). AIR, that driving was for a senior citizen activity, not a democratic party initiative. I don’t think she ever had any connection to the democratic party, other than being a registered democrat. (Also, after being a senior citizen, she was persuaded to donate more to the democrats than she should have. Had her children not found out about, she would have given more than she could afford.)

That was the 2020 general election. Democrats used mail in ballots to avoid catching COVID while Republicans didn’t because Trump told them they would not count.

I think in a lot of states, the mail in and absentee voting skewed toward the Republicans. Whether or not you believe that recent voting law changes are targeted at suppressing voters from Democrats areas, the idea has been widely advertised. So now in 2022, you could return to possibly an even stronger skew back towards Republicans using mail in ballots with the mail in ballot distrust among Democrats, and Republicans satisfied their party made changes. The higher rejection rate could easily hurt Republicans.

Sounds like a win:win. I could bitch about the process even though benefitting in terms of the resulting vote counts.

Doubtful, but not impossible. Not getting my hopes up though.

From my understanding a lot of inner city neighborhoods people go out and sign people up for voting and then help them fill out the ballot and then make sure they mail it. Is that not what goes on? Isn’t that was the Democrats are worried about? IMO this system favors those voters because they have someone to make sure every I is dotted and t crossed. The rest of D mail in voters are millennials opting into convenience. Basically just saying the people most likely to jack up a mail in ballot are Boomer Republicans voting from their second home or out in the po where there isn’t anyone to help them.

This seems a bit optimistic imo. I guarantee there are far more people in your first category and it will be a huge undertaking to try to help them jump through all the new hoops. I don’t think there will be the funding or manpower to make it happen.

OK, added my state and this came up top item.

I’ve had a voting machine inform me that I had undervotes and ask me if I wanted to fix it and I said no and it took the ballot. I’ve probably never had an overvote before… that would be an obvious mistake on my part. But if there’s two guys running for nonpartisan judge and neither fills out the candidate information thing, I just don’t vote for that office. :woman_shrugging:

If it tells me about undervotes I’m guessing it also tells about overvotes.

That is also about voting in person.

In my state there is no in-person early voting. All early voting is by absentee ballot, so this offer was not about in person voting.

Interesting. I guess the transportation part is what got me.

He says the $6 is to compensate groups for transportation, and time to help people vote early.

I did some more searching over the weekend. In 2020 there were two counties that had polling sites open days other than the election, but I think they were actually functioning as absentee ballot collection sites, since state rules (law?) doesn’t permit early voting. The counties were not in the area the $6 offer group focuses on.