Vinyl thread

Initially the goal was 60 minutes. Some guy at Sony wanted to fit his fave symphony on a disc and they upped it to 74 min by making the disc a tad bigger.

Years ago I bought a Music Hall turntable to see what it was all about. I was comparing it to an NAD disc player with 16 bit DACs. Preamp and amp were also NAD, and I was using some speakers I built from SEAS Excel drivers. Yada yada yada, I don’t own a record player any more.

Same, for me 256kbps seems to be about where my ears can’t tell the difference. I took a test once where I listened to something and tried to guess the bit rate. I did mostly ok picking out the 128 content. But 256 and beyond, I couldn’t pick them apart.

ETA, when I took this test I was using AudioTechnica M50 headphones.

wasn’t this on early season curb your enthusiasm (but with wagner)?

i don’t pretend to know the intent or meaning of the piece you reference, or if the artist had a known stance of “all my art is in honor of the .” That said, i wouldn’t lead with it ever, no.

How many of these “other ways” allow you to play the content backwards?

1 Like

I have a record player set up in my workspace. I love it! Part of the joy for me is the nostalgia of how I listened to music as a kid. Part of it is the hunt for albums at rummage sales, flea markets, thrift shops, etc. I also enjoy the hisses and pops because that is how I grew up listening to music. It’s a fairly cheap hobby. My biggest surprise favorite album is John Denver’s Greatest Hits. I paid fifty cents and definitely got my money’s worth.

Naw. If you had a whole collection of only Nazi musicians, I think it would be awkward to share it. But he was a great conductor, and is much better known for his music than for his politics. He was a member of the Nazi party, and his membership no doubt helped make it feel normal. On the other hand, the Nazis were already in power when he joined, so… He’s just much more important musically than politically.

Lots of people were members of the Nazi party as a matter of social necessity; especially after 1934.

:bump:

It turns out STB-21 yo daughter has a record player and is looking for “a record for my record player, either classical or jazz”.

Is Amazon the best place to buy vinyl records these days? …or should’ve I send her over to the Electric Fetus?

Also, I will accept suggestions of what albums to buy based on this:

“…I looked up Vince Guaraldi and David Benoit and listened to a little and I like both of them. I like vocal jazz too, so like Bobby Darin, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, etc.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to copious amounts of Tuba Skinny yet, but I just scrubbed through a few of their songs. I like it, but I think I want more of the calm/classical jazz style rather than their style “

Amazon is a fine place to buy vinyl, but I personally prefer local music stores because I just like browsing in person. I’m not really a collector, I just like listening to music and I’m not too picky about condition. I have found a lot of pretty cheap, good jazz records by browsing through local shops’ bins. For a serious collector who’s picky about grade of album sleeve and the actual record itself, Discogs will allow you to find any edition of any record, in whatever condition you want, with pretty reliable grading. Usually it’s a little more expensive, though. Amazon is perfectly good for buying new records but used records can’t be found there as cheaply as with local stores, and the quality/playability of used records there isn’t as well-controlled as Discogs.

For laid-back jazz with or without vocals, I’d recommend some West Coast stuff. Chet Baker Sings is a personal favorite, Getz/Gilberto is more bossa but is a total classic and has that signature Getz west coast sound.

1 Like