Vaccine Distribution

Getting vaccinated should be mandatory. Religious and medical exemptions only. Both requiring proof.

why should there be religious exemptions? disagree with that. what religion is anti-vax anyway?

There are a number of long established religious groups that do not use modern medicine.
To name a few: Christian Scientists , Jehovah’s Witnesses , Amish

Christian Scientist do not use vaccination. I don’t know about the others specifically.

The 1st amendment isn’t there only when its convenient. Kind of like the 4th - 8th aren’t all that easy for prosecutors and cops.

well, then that’s bullshit. if you’re going to make it mandatory, i don’t see why an established religion would be exempt rather than just someone whose religion is “anti-vax” and i’m guessing what you’re saying isn’t entirely true. either it’s mandatory or it’s not. if it’s mandatory, religion would not be an exemption.

my point is, if religion is an exemption, then you can’t say that people not within those religions aren’t exempt too if they are anti-vax.

Yes, from a legal standpoint you can absolutely do just that.

What you cannot do, in the United States, is make it illegal for someone to follow their religious beliefs. That includes forcing them to participate in prohibited behavior. Getting into what qualifies as a religion is pretty murky. But fairly sure that “I read online that vaccinations cause autism.” doesn’t qualify.

i’m pretty sure you’re wrong. you can’t put one standard on one group of people and not others. that makes zero sense.

so then people who don’t want the vaccine can now claim they are part of one of those religions. DONE

it’s a stupid exemption.

Thus the proof comment.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you need to take a civics class.

and this “proof” is? if you believe a religion, you’re that religion.

i need to take a civics class when you’re the one saying “i’m pretty sure” they need to provide proof. how do you know they do?

and if you’re right, i stand by my opinion that it’s a buillshit exemption that should NOT ever happen. If you’re going to have that exemption, you should not have the mandate.

@R_Daneel_Olivaw sounds like for most states you don’t have to provide proof that you’re part of a religion that is anti-vax. only a few require proof. some states even allow opting out due to philosophical reasons (i.e. anti-vax).

Immunization Exemptions: The Rules & Laws Explained (webmd.com)

maybe YOU should take a civics class.

You are missing the point. What is current law and what is allowable under the constitution are different things.

I’m well aware that states have different laws regarding vaccination. That was made clear to anyone paying attention when measles broke out in California. What I was saying is that those need to be changed for COVID (personally I feel for all vaccinations). Essentially making them as restrictive as allowed under the Constitution and add medical exemptions, because DUH.

Your comment that there should not be religious exemptions is flatly illegal under the Constitution. That has been settled law for a long time.

um, then i worded it wrong. i’m fine with religious exemption, as long as anyone can use that reason.

i stand by the fact that it’s bullshit that someone can get an exemption if they prove they are in an established religion, but can’t if they don’t have definitive proof.

your suggestion will never happen, and it is a ridiculous suggestion that infringes on people’s rights.

i know there are religious exemptions, but they aren’t hard to get these days.

also, these “religious exemptions” only go so far as detailed in that article. if exempting yourself from a vaccine puts others in extreme risk, such as in a nursing home, you can’t be in that nursing home no matter what your silly religion says.

oh! also in that article, it says in the case of an outbreak, your religious exemption is no longer valid. so, in the case of a pandemic, it’s not valid.

TAKE A CIVICS CLASS

There are limits on religious freedom. You can’t sacrifice a human being just because your religion tells you to. You can’t even have a sacred prostitute if prostitution is otherwise illegal.

according to this source:
https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/school-immunization-exemption-state-laws.aspx
five states don’t allow religious exemptions for certain vaccines.

• California
  • Maine
  • Mississippi
  • New York
  • West Virginia
    Some of those are recent legal changes, and perhaps they haven’t yet been tested in the highest courts. But “my religion says so” doesn’t generally trump laws that were passed for non-discriminatory purposes. I’ll be surprised if the vaccine laws don’t hold up in court. (And MS and WV have more longstanding rules that don’t allow religious exemptions.)

That being said, I don’t think they are good law – I think the states ought to allow religious and philosophical objections to most vaccinations. (Maybe not for measles or tetanus, but maybe yes for chickenpox and covid.) Honestly, so long as there aren’t too many people claiming religious exemptions, it’s not a problem. And very few religions actually forbid vaccination. The only one I know of is the Christian Scientists. This is a pretty good article about who opposes vaccines and why:

TL;DR: Most of the religious groups that have been in the news for recent outbreaks of preventable diseases were not avoiding vaccines for religious reasons but because members of the community didn’t trust the outside world that was trying to vaccinate them.

Pretty sure those a exemptions for school vaccinations. I’m saying make the vaccines mandatory period. Required to be a resident of the state.

I don’t think any state requires vaccinations for anything currently. And i don’t think that’s just because of the constitution. There are a ton of issues, both practical and moral, to requiring EVERYONE to be vaccinated.

yeah, ummmm, school vaccinations is the only place where I ever had to get vaccinated, sooooo it’s a good example to use. there really aren’t any others currently.

I also see no real material difference between a personal philosophy or belief than that of an established religion to say that some quack established religion is an exception, but your personal belief is not. same damn thing.