USA Men's Soccer Thread

I don’t think he has to go. At same time if he went there would be interest from other areas. A bad relationship with Gio is not a good position to be in. He will likely be a top player for us for next 2 WCs. We have to score goals. Our players are ascending. Either way we would have good coach.

I’m neutral on Berhalter staying or going. He did a solid job, but I wouldn’t say so great that he must be retained. The Gio beef is a bad look though, particularly with the coach choosing to air internal dirty laundry. I still don’t like the way Berhalter was hired, but it worked out well enough.

Would be interesting in someone like Pep would take the job after this season ends. Sounds like he may go Brazil though. Jesse Marsch would be interesting but if Leeds stays up, he stays put. Tuchel lobbied for England job, but won’t get it. Luis Enrique could be interesting. Do not want Roberto Martinez. Biesla would get some goals but is not best option. Steven Gerrard could be interesting choice as well. He did well with Rangers and could use a lot of time watching and interacting in between our call ups and games. He was not great with Aston Villa but style would be different.

OK, so men and women will get paid equally. But by whom? The International tournament directors don’t create equal prize money distribution.
So, just the wages for getting on the team?
For USA soccer, there will always be an “equality” difference between winning (the women win more) and creating revenues (the men create more revenues).

USSF will probably have to create equal definitions of “being on the team.” Does it mean “being chosen for a training camp”? “Being chosen to the roster”? “Being on a match roster”?
I suppose there could be an amount paid for each of these.
And then, make sure the exact same number of players are chosen for each definition. And the same number of opportunities. if there are five international dates for the men, but six international dates for the women, well, that will make things unequal in some way.

Odd timing

See this here axe? Needs grinding.

Thing is, the independent investigators found other incidents by outside folks toward staff.

“Through this process, U.S. Soccer has learned about potential inappropriate behavior towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organization. We take such behavior seriously and have expanded our investigation to include those allegations.”

You’re not going to play my son?? Then, I’ll rat your past out!

How fucking petty can you get?
How about parenting your child a little better so that he’d be mature enough to show up ready to play on the USMNT instead grooming him to be an entitled little brat?
(IMO)
Gio should probably retire to Austin FC to be closer to his parents, so they can protect him from the world.

2 Likes

Also explains why Berhalter backed the bus over Gio in a public fashion rather than keep club dirty laundry behind closed doors.

Well, Berhalter talked first, THEN this petty shit came out in response.

Danielle Reyna said in a statement on Wednesday: “I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age.”

1 Like

They torpedoed Berhalter then not because he didn’t play Gio enough, but because Berhalter publicly slammed Gio when he did worse at the same age himself.

1 Like

So, the last straw.
Still petty.

Definitely petty. But also probably what I would do for my kid.

And anyway, who cares? Maybe now we’ll get a coach who doesn’t kick shins AND knows how to use strikers!

Soccer moms are the worst……

1 Like

Nate the Lawyer has done a bunch of good takedowns on the USWNT & USMNT contract differentials. Here’s one:

one of the weirdest things is that because of MNT’s performance, they must share their prize money with the women, who, ironically, get more money from the men’s performance than their own achievements in winning.

Ironic only because FIFA has determined, using actual financial numbers, that their revenues from the two tournaments differ by merit (i.e., TV contracts, bribes, etc.).

don’t go bringing your facts and logic into this here virtue-signaling fight!

1 Like

Yeah, but splitting the revenues makes everyone happy.
Now, how does a player qualify to get the dough? I mean, who is on the USWNT right now? Or will they simply bundle the two nearby WCs (M2022/W2023 and so on)?
(Do I have to watch a youtube?)

This is an interesting question indeed…

OK, I watched a YouTube.

1. It is not relevant whether it is “equal pay” or not. The parties agreed. Just like the thrown-out lawsuit.
  2. If the USMNT theoretically misses out on a WC (which it didn’t for 2022 and, by hosting, it won’t in 2026), yes, the USWNT would be transferring money to the USMNT. Like, say, hypothetically, the USA invades Brazil. FIFA takes away our hosting privileges and kicks us out of the WC.
  3. I disagree with the use of the phrase “Pay to play.” That is a term used for American Sports’ youths’ parents paying (large amounts) some organization in order for their kids to play. Should use “Paid to play” or “play for pay,” as all professionals are.
  4. YouTube video did not go into detail about how the players’ portions are determined. So, I’m guessing:
    a) “part of the large pool (40?)” = $X per month;
    b) "On roster for match =$Y;
    c) “Actually play in match” = $Z.
    Or something like that. Will some rosters be paid more than others? Tournaments versus qualifiers versus friendlies?