USA Men's Soccer Thread

I considered that high kick a red card. Studs strafed the USA player.
Effect of the overturn was, “i guess thats ok. Let’s see what else is OK.”

Those on CBS Sports Network?
I’ll have to find a bar.

Wiley says US U20 team wanted him to play in this tourney but they decided not to because ATL is almost out of fullbacks due to injury. He hopes to get tapped for the Olympics and U20 World Cup.

Another easy win for the W. Qualify for World Cup 2023.
Now, to keep going and qualify for the Olympics.

The hosts Mexico have shit the bed vs both Haiti and Jamaica. Two losses have them at the bottom of Group A. Mexico now needs to win outright vs the US to have a shot at the WC, and even then it’s a long shot.

Are our rejects not trying to play for MEX anymore?

I don’t care who comes second. Just happy that Canada and US will win their Groups so that we can possibly have a Canada-US Final.

USWNT up 2-0 at the half in the semifinal

Thank you Alex Morgan.

This was tweeted by Opta late in today’s match so I imagine it excludes today’s result: the USWNT has won their last 30 matches in competitive CONCACAF tournament play with an aggregate score of 148-0.

That’s insane.

The US is clearly the class of CONCACAF.

Canada has not been impressive in this tournament but good enough to make it to the final. I expect a US victory as Canada just doesn’t seem to totally have its act together.

The Canadian women looked pretty dominant last night through the first half (all I saw). They had a ton of good chances, but the Jamaican goalie (Spencer?) was really strong. Could have easily been 3-0 or 4-0 at the half.

I think last night’s game was Canada’s best of the tournament. They dominated even more in the second half after they brought in four substitutions and the Jamaicans just ran out of gas.

In the two earlier games, their opponents adopted what I would call a “rope a dope” defence that seemed to frustrate the Canadians whereas, looking at the American scores, they seem to have adapted better to that sort of defensive play by their opponents.

I much prefer watching Canada play the good European women’s teams as Canada and the US are really head and shoulders above their CONCACAF opponents.

I am never optimistic when the Canadian women play the US in soccer. Not like hockey where the teams are pretty even.

Seems like a mistake to schedule the final for 10PM ET on a Monday if they want maximum viewers.

1 Like

I think they want to keep 11 on the field. Getting kind of hot down there.
At least the fields are grass.

1 Like

“Kind of hot” is an understatement: it has been brutal.

What has been really sad is the attendance. Big factor is the dismal showing of the home country team but July in Mexico is not good timing to attend a soccer match. I expect a lot more Americans than Canadians in the stands on Monday night but also expect a small crowd in total.

So far, the W Monday final is not scheduled on CBS Sports Network.

The reigning Olympics Women’s champions versus the reigning FIFA World Cup Women’s champions: who would want to watch that?

This is a bit of a grudge match for US as Canada had a rare win over them at the Olympics. I expect an exciting match but the US is clearly favoured. There is a new, free soccer channel showing it on my cable so I will be watching.

I’ve noticed that CBS Sports Network often doesn’t revise their schedule sometimes until the day of.
Currently, it has some repeat shit scheduled.

Honestly, it will not get me to subscribe to Paramount+.

CONCACAF should consider taking a little less money in return for more broadly-cast broadcasts. (Heck, every sport organization should do this.)

Also, CBS Sports Network’s Score Bug still sucks. For the Costa Rica match, showed “USA” in white font on a blue background, and CRC on white font and red background.
USA played in white, CRC in red.
JUST MAKE THE SCORE BUG COLORS MATCH THE UNIFORMS!!! LIKE NEARLY EVERY OTHER NETWORK SHOWING SOCCER!!!
OH, AND WHILE I’M RANTING, ALL NETWORKS SHOULD DO IT FOR EVERY OTHER SPORT, TOO!!!
(pant, pant)
OK, rant over.

2 Likes