USA Men's Soccer Thread

The girls, er, women:

Not sure why the team thinks the USSF should pay the FIFA prize money for winning the World Cup.
Now, if there is some clause in the men’s contracts that states the USSF will pay some amount of money to the USMNT when they win in 2026, sure, the women should receive that same amount.
The rest of the wage issue is still muddy because of combining NWSL salaries with USWNT salaries, which is in their signed contract, but is not included in the men’s because they don’t need it. USSF should simply withdraw such financial support from the NWSL, let it try to survive.

Another analysis of USMNT, while the scrubs suit up tonight, and subsequently get COVID:

(Watches first ~10 minutes of game)

OK, not horrible - but I can go get a shower and not miss anything.

(Takes shower, comes back and sees it’s USA 5-0 SLV)

:scream:

I was hoping this would be a tryout for the Olympic team.
Wondering what Berky will find more important: Olympic qualification (haven’t qualified since 2008) or Gold Cup win (no more Confederations Cup, so who cares?). We have what should be a pretty good U23 +3 squad.

This is why you pause the game.

I would have … except I’m in Nowheresville where DVRs don’t exist. (And, my dad is 80 and has no need for one - but ignore that for the rest of this.) It’s where Democrats are teh debil, COVID is a fake thing, people openly screech about not watching the NFL because someone kneeled years ago, all the conspiracy theories are parroted as truth, … it might as well secede from the rest of Illinois (which people around here think would be a good thing) and go be part of Kentucky.

Steffen looks OK in EPL debut. Screwed up a deliberate kick from a teammate, but no consequence.

Ted, were you there for the eclipse a few years ago?

I was there for the eclipse! Went to Chester, IL (home of Popeye), right along the river - decent crowd, nothing massive. I think most people stayed up in the downtown area. Easy in, great viewing, (fairly) easy out - and then watched traffic from Carbondale heading north well into the evening from the in-laws place.

Planning to be back in 3 years. Path of totality would go over their place, about 3:08 of darkness. May go to one of my best friends instead; like 20 miles south but 3:42 or so. Talked about Carbondale since it will be near center line again, but I expect it will be a zoo especially with classes in session. Very seriously thinking about going to NM or TX in October '23, there is an annular eclipse and think that would be neat to see.

I’m thinking Texas. Found a town on The 10 that the eclipse crosses. Has a bunch of campgrounds, and I have a friend with an RV. We’ll see how that goes.
I know some people who have a lake house in Ohio, but it’s happening in April, and I’m not confident with the weather cooperating then there.

USMNT minor league training camp starts soon. Need to fill up the rest of the Olympic team and maybe, just maybe, a diamond in the rough.
Might be playing Serbia on 1/31, though how that happens and what kind of Serbia team comes to USA (Orlando, reportedly) is anyone’s guess.

Klinsy on USMNT:

Probably kicking himself for getting canned.

IMO, the difference with being on top Euro teams is that there always exists someone just behind you scratching and clawing his way to your spot. If not on the team already, just wait, they’ll buy someone or borrow someone.

Matthew Hoppe scores hat trick in Bundesliga.

Still need to get out of 17th, up to 15th (6 points down, 13 GD down) to stay in top league. 16th (4 points down, 13 GD down) (of 18) goes to relegation playoff, which is an interesting format.

Jordan Morris might be ready to play soccer, getting sniffed at by Swansea for a loan. He’ll love the weather, same as hometown.

To Do list for General Berhalter:

The youth movement within the national team has been well documented, and to great fanfare, but there are four players with considerable international pedigree at Berhalter’s disposal whose careers are nearing their ends. Bradley, Altidore, Brad Guzan and Tim Ream all might have roles to play as the Stars and Stripes looks ahead to Qatar 2022; or, just as possible, they might not.

I think it’s good that this list is so short, but I think they are the “depth” – backups at best and hopefully third in line at their positions (meaning there are, hopefully, two better players). Steffen is doing great at MCI in the few times he’s been called in.

USWNT playing Colombia again tonight. Trinity Rodman, biological daughter of Dennis, has a profile here:

The number of times Dennis is mentioned as being involved in her life from Day 1 seems a little sparse – like 0 times. Pretty much a gene donor and no more. He is a bit wacky, though. Might have been for the best this way for her and the USA.

Morris is off to England to play soccer. Swansea City looking for promotion to EPL, trying to keep in an auto-promotion spot. Currently second on GD vs Watford but with a game-in-hand. Brentford is in 4th, two points back, with a game-in-hand on Swansea City.
Need ESPN+ to watch these matches.

I was going to remark that “Swansea City looking for promotion to EPL … so they can get relegated after a season” but that didn’t seem right, so I went and looked and realized that was Norwich City I was thinking about.

Which, is kind of appropriate because they’re indeed working on winning the Championship so they can get re-promoted … so they can likely get re-relegated after a season.

Some stay up, some don’t.
Better than a closed system imo.

54 Americans in Europe’s (top) Leagues, according to this CBS Sports tweet.

Oh, and the B-team/Olympic hopefuls beat up T&T’s B (?) team 7-0.