USA Men's Soccer Thread

Saw this and thought of the discussion here.

That’s still positive. Sort of like my fascination with track and field every 4 years at the Olympics.

USA 2 Dutch 0

Our shots will go in. Memphis won’t be at full strength and we control midfield.

Pretty ballsy prediction considering the Dutch only conceded 1 goal in their first three games and the US only scored 2. HOWEVER, if the USA does prevail I will definitely convert to the believing side.

Go back through this thread. I was critical on lack of strategy against Japan, but have been a believer in this team. I almost re-posted the other negative comments from others like over-rated, dumpster fire and we suck again. USA is just hitting stride with a team that did not play together in qualifiers. We now control midfield. We should have been playing these guys as 17-19 YOs the last time around versus the outmatched, aging under-performers.

The Dutch have been outshot by good teams so getting to 1 is not a stretch. USA has not given up a goal from field of play, so holding to 0 not a stretch. In KO round, a team down a goal has to stretch a little further down the stretch. The interesting this about this tourney is that a team pressing for that goal that starts early will give more counter opportunities. I would expect Weah to find net in that situation. Sticking with 2-0.

I’ll buy you a beer if this happens. You still in SoCal?

Vegas, I still head back to SD every few weeks to play golf

Dutch players starting to suffer some flu-like symptoms.

USA 3 Dutch 0

I am pretty confident about the US. I think at least 40% we advance which is better than the bookies give us.

LOL

That was ugly

Dutch finished chances, USA did not.

Oh well, youngest team at the cup, 4 years to find some finishers.

Good thing Memphis wasn’t at full strength.

That was surgical. That was a Masterclass by the Dutch on making the most of opportunities and finding/exploiting a weakness.

One thing for sure: It was NOT 2-0 USA.

1 Like

Our MF was gassed. Adams didn’t make it back on first goal. Unlike him. Couple breaks.

We need a 9 or play Weah at false 9. Team did great for not being together much. Ream was solid in swan song.

Excited for next 4 years!

I’m hoping there are some young USA players ready to challenge for spots. Not that they’ll succeed, but the current team’s players need the constant reminder that they are replaceable.

I’m sure there will be at least a few youngsters ready to challenge for roster spots in 4 years. This team will almost certainly have new center backs at least. Would be nice to develop more of a threat at striker.

Missed both matches today because of travel. Kudos to the USA team for getting as far as they did. Looking forward to England tomorrow hopefully proceeding to the quarterfinals.

Not sure why Gregg has to go. That would mean finding a new coach, who might do better?