USA Men's Soccer Thread

USA had a few players out, but Sophia Smith… plays the whole match and still running hard pressing at the end, looking good doing it (not stalking). Time to dump some of those old stars. Sure, it would be nice to let them leave on their own terms, but we have a WC to win, again.

Hate the commentators complaining about the VAR. Sure, let USA win on a shitty non-offside call, a shitty boot to the head non-call, a shitty handball call that didn’t hit a hand/arm.
Winning, of course, is the most important thing in a friendly.[/s]
VAR fixes referee errors, simple as that.

If the team didn’t want to fly to Europe for free and play a couple of games, they shouldn’t have gone. Good news is that those teams are now overconfident and won’t train as hard. Then, only then, will we get them. It’s a decent strategy, for the movies.

Yeah. Pretty sure that other countries will have a hard time getting up for their WC matches against the US. :grinning:

And Spain was missing half their squad due to dicks at the Spanish FA treating them like children.

Guardian:

Meanwhile, a group of Spanish national team players recently called on the federation to professionalize the women’s team. But the federation responded by saying the players asked for coach Jorge Vilda to be fired, which the players denied. The federation made matters worse by asking the players to apologize and ask for forgiveness. In announcing his team for a pair of friendlies this month, including Tuesday’s game, Vilda excluded the players who called for change, among them Barcelona’s Patricia Guijarro and goalkeeper Sandra Panos, and Manchester United’s Lucia Garcia. Jenni Hermoso and Alexia Putellas were not included because of injury.

Gonna speculate rifts in the USA locker room. Grannies vs Newbies.

Canada has the all time grandmother, Christine Sinclair. She is now painfully slow compared to the kids so I hope the WC is her last hurrah. She certainly won’t play 90 minutes a game I hope.

A good read about the USMNT, predicting the team, making an alternative team based mostly on retired players, etc.

Concern:

*How would we define a “solid” showing, by the way? Considering that EloRatings.net rates the U.S. (24th), Iran (21st) and Wales (26th) almost equally at the moment, “solid” would probably require advancement to the knockout rounds and the avoidance of a blowout against England and/or a round-of-16 opponent.

Not sure if ELO is all that accurate for particular match-ups (better for a 7-match series, maybe), but if they are, WC advancement is in grave danger.

All I know is that I am glad the WC is finally only about a month away. My expectation for the US and Canada is that they will each pick up at least a point in the first round but both fall short of advancing.

I always have low expectations for the teams I follow: that reduces the intensity of the heartbreak when they fail. My wife told me to be that way as she got tired of my emotional ups and downs with teams.

WC roster officially announced tomorrow, but players were told yesterday/today and leaks are starting.

Guys on the plane:
Ream
CCV
Long
Scally
Tillman
Sargent
Ferriera
Pepi

No Steffen. Turner, Horvath, Johnson are teh GKs

Wow. Steffen was like the locked in guaranteed keeper back in May 2021. Who wouldve guessed this at that time? Hes been really mediocre over the last year.

I do not see where you see this. Link?

CBS with that report:

“Buzz”? That means “Listen to my voice! Isn’t it great?!?!?”

Also, isn’t Matt Turner injured?

He didn’t start the Europa league game last week, but was on the bench against Chelsea over the weekend and I think is expected to start today’s EFL Cup game.

Looks like he’s on the bench today.

Is Steffan injured? I read somewhere that he won the Middlesborough job (they are in 16th in the Championship, though).

I think he was earlier in the fall, but has started at least Middlesbrough’s last 3 games.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath, Sean Johnson, Matt Turner

DEFENDERS (9): Cameron Carter-Vickers, Sergino Dest, Aaron Long, Shaq Moore, Tim Ream, Antonee Robinson, Joe Scally, DeAndre Yedlin, Walker Zimmerman

MIDFIELDERS (7): Brenden Aaronson, Kellyn Acosta, Tyler Adams, Luca de la Torre, Weston McKennie, Yunus Musah, Cristian Roldan

FORWARDS (7): Jesus Ferreira, Jordan Morris, Christian Pulisic, Gio Reyna, Josh Sargent, Tim Weah, Haji Wright

Notable omissions - Steffen, Cannon, McKenzie, Tillman, Arriola, Pepi, Pefok

Wright over Pepi and Pefok is a big surprise. He played 2 games this summer and GB seemed to be not impressed.

Roldan and Morris seem to be the biggest “these guys?”. Guessing both made it due to the expanded rosters. Seriously doubt Roldan plays (hasn’t played since mid-Aug due to injury), he must be a “good vibes” guy.

1 Like

At this stage, our guys ranked 22-26 aren’t the difference. If Steffen saw the field, we were in trouble regardless. Questions would be the front starters versus Wales and Iran and formation at couple of starters for key game against England.

I would prefer to start we go with Haji to start at the 9 to put the head on crosses from Dest and ARob. I would likely start Weah since Reyna has not had enough minutes. He would be a good 60’ sub if needed. I’m OK with either Aaronson or de la Torre. Also OK with Ferreira over Wright. Good with playing any guys that will be around in 2026.

For England, would be OK with 5 in the back w McKennie and Adams holding MF. Given England’s strength, park the bus and hope to get a winger into the open field against Stones and Maguire. If we go for possession in this game, it could get ugly.