USA Men's Soccer Thread

USA “A” team to play friendly at Northern Ireland.
Need the team to exact revenge for that 5-0 beating,… in 1948.
Meanwhile, an Olympic team (for which clubs are not obligated to release players) will be trying to qualify, in Mexico. Need to win first two matches, then play Mexico for first or second in the group, then play one more match to qualify.

Morris going on as a sub for Swansea.
A video embedded in this story:

Twice on this page, it states that SWA will play MCI in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday. But, it’s the FA Cup. No one to contact to correct it.
Hmm, corrected now.

Nice, long article in SI about Matthew Hoppe:

That’s now ACL tears in both knees. Depending on how rehab goes, we maybe could still see him for the start of the Octagonal (The Oct?) in '22.

That sucks.
For the team, it is important to have depth.

Ugh, agree about depth, this is a tough one. Seemed like a reasonably safe bet to have him on our A team. The Oct starts in September this year, ends by March next year, so I’m not sure what he’ll be able to play in…

Yes, it does start in September '21. I misread the table of dates. Telling you all, this has been a long Monday after a really long weekend.

So, perhaps for the January '22 qualifiers? If I read correctly he was back in 8 months after last time, I wouldn’t expect faster this time so that puts us at the November matches at the earliest and I wouldn’t throw him into the mix for that first game against Mexico even if that’s at home.

BTW, have we talked about the closing schedule for us in March? At Mexico, home vs. TBD, at Costa Rica. If we go into those final three games needing points again to clinch a spot and avoid an ICP, we’re going to be in a world of hurt.

OK, then how about we don’t?? Win the matches we (USA) are supposed to win, glide into qualifications.

Hey maybe this gives Matthew Hoppe a more clear path towards the NT.

I am excited to see the NT play competitive games again. I can’t help but feel confident this go round.

You and I would agree to that and think that makes a hell of a lot of sense. The USMNT, … well, it had other ideas last time around, and I’m kind of in the prove to me this time is different camp even if I look at the confederation and wonder how we’re not at least 3rd best and ideally not worse than 2nd best.

We better not see Michael Bradley in any games. If we do, I will be hearing C-3PO in y head “we’re doomed”. For those naysayers on that, please recall the staunch defending of Tim Howard and that wonderful last stretch in 2018. When players are done, keep them of the field. Everybody in this cycle should still be a candidate for 2026. Period.

Brooks and LLetget will both be 33 for the North America world cup, that’s an age where who knows how the body will be holding up. I think both of them will be parts of the team this cycle.

There is also the possibility for Altidore (31) and Ream (33) to play this cycle, but they certainly won’t in 2026.

Thank you Michael Bradley for your service, you made the team much better in our 2007-2010 era and were probably our best option in midfield in 2014, but if we see you again in a competitive game at this point for the USMNT something is wrong.

1 Like

Well, “candidate,” but hopefully not “only choice.”

Ladies win the Fox-Soccer-Channel-televised She Believes Cup. Warming up to Olympics, which might be held this year.

More televising/streaming news: “Paramount Plus” has won the rights to CONCACAF WC qualifiers and Nations Leagues.

Continuing with pushing “niche programming” off of cable to streamers, and of sellers of content (USSF in this case) taking the max money (IMO) and not caring a lick if their teams’ fans (Americans) will be able to watch.

Another $5/month, with ads. Ugh.
All I know is that their current cable network shows cut movies with ads (five minutes per break), so I don’t watch it much at all.

FOX will be broadcasting the men’s Olympics CONCACAF qualifiers. FOX Sports Showcases Full Slate of Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship Matches for First Time in English-Language Television History | Fox Sports PressPass

That’s good news. Was afraid they’d be relegated (heh) to FoxSoccer, which is not included on my package.

Musah has committed to the USMNT. Great get. He looked great in the friendlies last year and should be a solid asset going forward. I thought he might go with England so nice news.

Apparently, I’m supposed to get hyped up for a World Cup victory within the decade.

These types of blogs always forget one thing: the other countries’ teams are STILL better. This one doesn’t even mention that the earth has other countries with teams. Mainly, it’s about depth. Injuries are random occurrences, and the backups need to be less than one step below.

I’ll be content with a semi-final appearance in 2022, even though there might be ten better teams (according to FIFA right now, 21 better teams).

U23s get a big 1-0 win over Costa Rica to open Olympic qualifying.

2 teams from Concacaf make the Olympics. Need to finish top 2 of their group (US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic) and win their semifinal game against the other group (Honduras, El Salvador, Canada, Haiti) to qualify for this summer’s Olympics.

Play DR on Sunday, then Mexico on Wednesday (where they hopefully have a spot in the knockout round sealed up).

All games are on FS1/FS2.