United States Congressional & Gubernatorial 2022 elections

Yeah, I don’t think the one at work has the city & state on it, but I honestly don’t remember. I’ll try to remember to check on Monday if I’m going near the mail room. Small office, so it’s easy to pop in.

Would be a curiosity, but would have little or no relevance to whether it is a legal postmark. Here is from a website in El Dorado county (I’m not sure what state this is applicable to, and it’s addressing property taxes not ballots). FWIW, it says that metered mail is not postmarked, and that a date printed on metered mail is not proof of when it was mailed.

Yeah, it’s certainly not actually proof of when it was mailed, but based on experience, it is generally treated as though it is.

This was my point.
Just because the envelope has a printed date on it because it was “meter mailed” is not the same as an actual postmark, which is a very specific thing.

As you can imagine, Warnock and Walker ads are non-stop. I’d say at least 2/3 are attack ads vs the opponent. Many are annoying, but one I find particularly annoying goes something like this:

“How many illegal aliens voted in the primary? Nobody knows. But if Warnock wins it gives the Dems the one vote they need for illegal aliens to be voting in all elections.”

Seems like the appropriate response, except that most voters wouldn’t understand, is

“How many Texas residents voted in the primary? Only one is known to have.”

2 Likes

In AZ, Cochise county is refusing to certify the election results for the county. If those votes (which are mostly for Republican candidates) aren’t included in the state results, the Dems will end up taking a seat in Congress and the school superintendent position

The democratic SoS, governor elect Hobbs, is trying get a fudge to force the certification.

1 Like

Love the typo.

Thought it wasn’t one at first.
Thought you meant “fudge” like "fudging the numbers. "

5 Likes

I think more people would be interested in election trivia if fudge were involved. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, it took me a minute to figure it out too.

If the County Elections Official, or whatever the title is of the person who is supposed to be doing the certification, is refusing to do their job, can they be removed from office?

I think in most places those are elected officials, although I don’t know about AZ specifically. I’m curious what provisions there are for dealing with people who refuse to do their jobs.

@soyleche (or anyone else) if you learn more on this angle, please keep posting about it.

I try not to vote on the first day or 2 of early voting, as lines are usually long then but dissipate later. Drove by my closest early voting center at about 4:45pm yesterday, and the line stretched down the block. I’ll try again later this week, but will wait for election day if crazy lines continue for the rest of the week.

2 Likes

Too lazy/disinterested to look this up: What happens if Walker wins the election, then it comes out his residency is bogus or some other issue keeps him from taking the seat, how does the senate seat get filled?

Not looking it up, either, but my guess without knowing anything about it

1. R state legislature completely ignores the issue
  2. some D sues
  3. R judges says, with convoluted logic, ignore the rules, Walker stays

So filling the seat can never become an issue.

1 Like

If walker doesn’t stay, the legislature/governor would probably appoint a replacement.

The governor would appoint someone to hold the office temporarily until the next general election, then a special election happens for someone to finish the remainder of the term.

This just happened with this same seat: Isakson resigned for health reasons, and Loeffler was appointed December 2019. Loeffler had to run in 2020 to serve out the remaining term, and she lost to Warnock. Warnock had to run again in 2022, as the new term will start in 2023.

1 Like

Walker says he was actually living in GA even though he still owned a house in TX. He didn’t check his TX tax bill carefully to notice that they automatically gave him the homestead credit even though he wasn’t still living there full time. Simple oversight. Here’s the extra tax.

No impact on his senate seat in GA.

(I’m assuming he was living in GA most of the time while he was running for senate.)

1 Like

Well…

“His” house in GA is actually his wife’s , and she has been on the deed since her prior husband added her. It’s been a rental property until very recently, and not clear that Herschel has ever lived there or even stayed there infrequently.

Herschel listed it as his residence when he filed to run. It’s definitely unclear whether Herschel met the GA residency requirements before running. Note I doubt this will mean he’s actually officially disqualified.

IMO, our best hope is that enough voters decide to vote against him for this. I would be surprised if the TX situation would make him ineligible in GA.

If, as Arthuritis suggests, he might not have met the GA residency requirements (presumably for reasons other than TX property tax), that might well be appropriate grounds for the GA government to disqualify him.

1 Like

The Georgia residency requirements to vote and to qualify to run for office: