U.S. Qualification Standards

No, statistical bias has a very specific mathematical definition, which has nothing to do with human brains.

For example, the sample mean is an unbiased estimator for the actual population mean. There’s no statistical bias.

The sample median might be a biased estimator for the population mean, if the actual distribution is not symmetric.

I could do another (free) CE video, but I’ll do it later, and y’all can learn what statistical bias means if you don’t already know what it means. Statistical estimators are random variables… yadda yadda yadda.

I don’t need to throw this thread off course re: what has changed for those of us who have satisfied basic education requirements and need to think about what has changed for continuing education requirements.

1 Like

To be blunt, I get far more than 30 CE “hours” each year. I could satisfy the requirement, other than the “organized” aspect, within January.

If I were really nasty, I would just disallow this “business” CE. Make it all actuarial-related.

Hell, make it all professionalism.

Make it all ASOP 56.

Now we’re talking.

1 Like

Right, but use of imperfect models tend to lead to biases in that sense. And incorporation of prior information does too, which is most easily seen when bayesian priors on parameters lead to estimates that are biased in the classical sense.

The only time i’m aware that biases don’t exist in real world measurements is when you have the right scientific theory, and then make unbiased estimate of parameters in that theory. And even then true unbiasedness is only a kind of ideal limit. But our finite brains cannot formulate or evaluate such a theory in our everyday lives, even if such a theory does exist. So we use biased approximations instead.

Topics relevant to an actuarial job you have or might have in the future. I guess I really mean there should be a minimum for the “all other”.

I don’t think you SHOULD be able to get just professionalism. I think you should keep up to date in your field, too. But I don’t think you should be discouraged from business CE, and I feel like the current rules imply that.

1 Like

Is this a typo or am I missing something? Isn’t it 3 in professionalism (as it has always been)?

2 Likes

Whups, let me fix that.

This recent webcast

https://www.actuary.org/node/14963

covers bias topics:

Attendees of the webinar can count this towards the new U.S. Qualification Standards (USQS) requirement of annual bias education. Learn more.

3 Likes

I come here when I’m studying to get away from course notes, not be confronted with them.
Thank you very much.

You’re welcome.

I wonder if this google talk might qualify as bias training: The Ethical Algorithm

Or perhaps the book by the same name…

2 Likes

I would likely count that

2 Likes