TSA and advance arrival at airport

I fly a decent amount and have been to many airports across the US. I have TSA Pre, and the only airports I’ve spent more than like 10 minutes in the security line in the last decade were Denver and Newark.

When I arrive will depend on the airport, but ideally I get to my gate 10 minutes before boarding. I always will err on the conservative side though and am like 30-40min early, and I have lounge access at most airports so I spend time in those areas often.

The Pre lanes at Denver can get pretty backed up some days. Still usually less than 15 minutes but occasionally there is a pretty long line.

I think of the “waste of time” at the airport as an insurance policy against traffic jams, TSA delays, and anything else that can possibly go wrong. Even with the large cushions I’ve cut it pretty close a few times. And with laptops and smartphones it’s not that much of a waste to be sitting in an airport.

1 Like

I think half an hour is a decent buffer for traffic.

Which means 1:30-2 hours before boarding is usually safe for me (takes about 20 min to airport without traffic).

But I also avoid rush hours when I book my flights.

i don’t mind being at the airport unless i didn’t check my luggage. i just walk for steps and play pokemon. if i didn’t check my luggage though it’s annoying and i wind up just sitting.

I always have carry-on luggage, even if I need to check a bag. Sometimes luggage goes astray, and it’s good to have fresh underwear and my meds.

3 Likes

Admittedly, luggage is more likely to go astray if you arrive at the last minute. :wink: And is most likely to go astray if you have a connection, and your first flight is delayed.

It took me all of 45 minutes to check in, clear security and US customs. I am at the gate enjoying a nice, relaxing cup of coffee.

@BG5150: I may even treat myself to a nice lunch and a drinkie drink!!!

blooooody maaaary

I have a backpack with my 2 laptops as carry-on. I meant if I was also carrying my suitcase it basically makes it that I cannot walk around at all. The laptops are kinda annoying too, but no way i’d check laptops.

i assume they won’t lose my luggage and don’t always have spare underwear, but underwear is pretty light anyway, so i could easily shove some into my backpack. i’m flying southwest where there are free checked bags, so checking bags is basically a given for that.

flying on saturday. hopefully won’t catch covid.

Side note, I always make sure I’ve got one extra pair of socks and underwear for the return flight in case I get caught overnight.

I should think about putting socks and underwear in my personal item so that even if I get gate checked, I have some in my personal item.

I gambled on being able to get an aisle seat without early bird check in this time. if this doesn’t pan out, i’m gonna have to hope they sell the A places in line at the airport.

Is this weekend even a common time to fly? i assumed a random weekend at the end of october isn’t a common time to fly, but what do I know.

My wife just bought a Monos carry on pro -
Best Carry-On with Front Pocket | Monos Travel Luggage & Accessories.

It has wheels, an easy to get to pocket for the laptop and can fit in a decent amount for when, as Lucy mentioned, checked in luggage goes astray.

that’s fine and all if i’m packing light and that’s the only luggage i’m gonna have, but i prefer my carry-on to be a backpack so that I have my hands free. That won’t keep my hands free.

SwissGear 1900 Scansmart TSA 17-Inch Laptop Backpack, Black, 19 https://a.co/d/0x9I3It

My backpack for my 2 laptops and a bunch of other crap i can shove in as carry-on. Serves me well.

I carried a similar one but it gets heavy.

yeah, 2 laptops are gonna be heavy on my back regardless.

I wonder if there’s an option with a waist strap to take some of the weight of the shoulders

Lots of ‘travel backpacks’ have a waist strap. AER, Osprey, Tom Bihn, maybe Cotopaxi. I got a Tom Bihn that comes with a cheap strap but they offer a larger padded one if you prefer.

And most of these have a laptop sleeve etc, they are designed more as luggage than a backpack. I think it also helps if the laptop sleeve is close to your body, that’s where you want the weight.

1 Like

Im also limited because one of my laptops is 17". Most laptop bags are too small for it. Now that ive entirely reconfigured my work station with an external monitor i have no need for a 17" laptop but thats what i have and bought it before covid was a thing