Thread to talk about relatives gaming the system

1 Like

No

Sure. Pre-Obamacare I had decent insurance in the individual market, as did my dad & stepmom.

I’m not arguing that the individual market pre-Obamacare was perfect. I’m saying that it’s pretty disingenuous to claim that my relatives are doing something bad by taking an Obamacare policy when there are no longer any other realistic options for them. The individual market for pre-Medicare age IS Obamacare these days.

Sure, they’re saving a lot of money from the Obamacare subsidies. Maybe he would have had to work until age 41 or 42 instead of 40 to save up enough to cover the insurance premiums that they’re not currently paying. Maybe they retired with only $2 million instead of $2.5 million because of Obamacare … I’m not exactly certain.

I never said they did anything bad (I didn’t read closely enough) but it’s hard to feel bad for some extra expense for people wealthy enough to retire in their early 40s when looking at families who’d be completely screwed (as in not survivable) with a member with a significant healthcare issue. I’m not saying that the ACA is perfect either.

You didn’t, but others did.

My point was really just to illustrate the futility of attempting to means test by looking at something as blunt as AGI.

For something like EV subsidies for not-rich people, don’t means test at all. Just make them only for cheap cars that most rich people don’t want.

Indy said something about how pre-Medicare retirees were able to get free Obamacare plans by keeping their income low even though they were loaded and I mentioned that I had relatives who did this too and we started down the rabbit hole. Just examples of failed means testing.

Honestly I’m too tired to read this. It’s like the text version of Charlie Brown’s teacher. I need to wander over to the drink order thread now.

1 Like

In summary, people are exploiting the system to take advantage of a benefit that clearly was not intended for them, while whining about others receiving government handouts and how horrible Obamacare is.

So just general hypocrisy and exploitation of the system by those with the means to clearly abuse it.

But, welfare queens.

Can i game the system as longbas i vote democrat?

You can game the system any time you want to put in the thought and effort.

1 Like

No one is whining but you.

But all the loopholes and ability to game the system are not available without certain monetary means

Oh, your dad was supportive of Obamacare?

I meant without incurring whiskey’s wrath

1 Like

Huh? You said:

That’s not my Dad. His income is way too high to remotely dream of an Obamacare subsidy. Well, plus he’s on Medicare (Advantage) now, although he wasn’t in 2014. He’s one of the ones who liked his plan and couldn’t keep his plan, but he certainly never got a subsidy for Obamacare nor an EV nor EITC, so I’m confused why you think that describes him.

Something about me makes Whiskey irrationally angry. I sometimes wonder if he’s my bitter ex-husband (who actually did troll me on AO), but my ex didn’t care about the Seahawks so either it’s an epic troll job or, more likely, not actually him. But I don’t know why he’s so angry. :woman_shrugging:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yeah, I didn’t really think it based on how long he was on AO.

Pulled from a thread where this was an unnecessary sidebar leading to this.

That’s fucking terrifying to me as somebody who would probably be “lasered” because of the drugs I need for my body to function halfway normally.

It’s self-serving to want M4A but I’ll advocate for others with issues I am not affected by. M4A is important to me and we need to detangle medical care from employment. It sucks when I can’t afford to make “more money” at a different company because of healthcare.

Can you explain why you can’t make more money at another company because of healthcare? Are you worried about discrimination due to a disability? Accidentally disclosing a medical condition during the interview process???