Thread to post in when you’re lonely

So sorry, that sounds terrible.

I can’t offer cogent advice but maybe take this time to find what you enjoy and build on that. Maybe people in your area are also interested.

3 Likes

Thanks.

Before the pandemic I was part of several organizations and clubs which gave me social interaction. But once the pandemic hit they shut down. I need to take the initiative to get back involved now that things are normalizing.

The one thing I have done to try and help feel connected (our families are ~7 hours away) is to stay in touch with friends we’ve made along the way. Talking to them every other week keeps us connected with people, but it’s not constant “I’m talking to someone, we’re out of things to say.”

Before that? It was tough at times. In a couple places, we couldn’t rely on neighbors because we didn’t do the “right” social stuff (spa day, random shopping, other flashy things to show off who we were and what we had) or we weren’t originally from the area (so lots of snobbery and intolerance of new ideas). Where we are now (5.5 years), there’s been this entire pandemic thing that’s happened + the neighborhood has pretty much turned over + 2 of the people in the neighborhood have no kids. We know a few people in town and have a couple we could rely on in a pinch, but we could leave tomorrow and 99.9% of the area wouldn’t notice.