Things to consider before building a house

Library with one of those ladders that rolls around the room or gtfo if you’re going all-out on a Queen Anne.

4 Likes

Large garage is mega key. Nothing worse than opening your car door and having it bump into the garage wall. Or having to make sure not to run over your kids bikes.

Either 3 car garage or extra deep garage with an extra 10 feet in front of the cars for workshop/gym space, storage

3 Likes

Out of curiosity… why?

My grandparents had a well and that seemed like a PITA too. No water during power failures (although I guess if you had a generator that powered the pumps this wouldn’t be as big an issue) and they had stuff to maintain, and no fluoride in the water… my mom & her brothers had a lot of dental problems.

Seems easier to be on municipal water, but that’s just me. In Portland we did get a lot of boil orders, which was annoying. I’ve never experienced that anywhere else though. I guess if your local water works requires this with some regularity then that would be an argument in favor of the well.

Unit-stabilized foundation for earthquake prep

In front and/or to the side. It’s nice to be able to get stuff in & out of the garage without scraping up against the cars.

Generator backup for well, pond circulation, as well as home emergency power.

1 Like

Ok but why the well rather than public water?

Actually this is one my list! But I don’t wanna accidentally die from it in my maze-like house, never to be found again.

1 Like

A moat would be nice. And a secret underwater path that connects to inside the house

1 Like

If we’re going to go for the whimsical/fantastical options for a dream house, I’ll add:

1 Like

There are some houses up the road from me with fairly steep inclines: I have seen the melt patterns from their heated driveways!!! :+1:

well is not bad to maintain. I setup a generator that powers well if I need it, but you are right- no power, no water.

biggest issue is sometimes the well pump will die or the connections will fail deep in the hole… so no water while you figure out wtf to do, maybe waiting for service guy and/or parts. Doesnt happen often, but its a major headache when it does.

also with well you will have your own cold/pressure tank. The diaphragm on the tank sometimes fails resulting in pump running constantly. not a big deal, but one more thing to deal with. I tap the top side of the tank with my wedding ring every time I pass it and listen for the ping. One day it didnt ping and I knew.

also wanted to add to dream home- 2nd floor master BR with a walk out balcony.

1 Like

Panic room, with secret passage to far away from the house

Yeah, obviously people do it, but I’m not sure what the advantage is that makes it worthy of putting on a dream home wish list. :woman_shrugging:

agreed. I thought wells were just something us hillbillies had out in the stix.

That and septic systems. Which might be the worst system to maintenance.

Did anyone mention sex dungeon?

Mephistos_Sidekick basically mentioned as such.

1 Like

legal or illegal. too many secret passages in this thread.

You seem to have a perfect handle on JSM’s house needs.
/s