The Right to vote?

That’s my opinion, too.

I think I could do a good job of writing the questions. Get final exams from HS Civics and US History classes (maybe economics). Identify a couple hundred common questions. Publish a study guide “200 Facts about US government, history, (and possibly economics)”. The exam may be a random sample of about 50.

But, unless I get to be the exam dictator, it will get all politicized.

Alternatively, we have an exam for naturalized citizens, use that. It would be good if everyone knew what we’re telling new citizens they need to know.

like which President served two non-consecutive terms?

1 Like

I don’t think that’s on the test.

Here’s one version.

100 Civics Questions and Answers for the 2008 Test with MP3 Audio (English version) | USCIS

This is the 2008 version, Trump had a different version

128 Questions and Answers for the 2020 Version of the Civics Test (uscis.gov)

Yep, that was the rationale for the 26th amendment. I think they should have gone the other way, can’t join the military until you’re 21.

2 Likes

I think i’ve heard the military would rather have enlisted soldiers at 18 compared to 21. They are easier to train and mold when they are younger.

And dumber. Easier to be fooled by a recruiter lying to them.

1 Like

Starting at 18 also allows you to train them up prior to their hitting physical peak. Provides the greatest benefit for the service over the 1st term of enlistment that way.

I think freedom of speech is another right which also comes with responsibility.

This means that in principle it is a right that is limited at times by the state. This is very rare in the US. In germany and some other countries, it is limited in more cases.

Voting is no different in that respect.

Jim Crow and early property requirements are two examples showing the extreme danger in limiting this right in practice. Many people earnestly believed only the educated, male land owners could successfully fulfill the responsibility of voting. And I dare say many whites may have thought the same thing about limiting the vote for black americans during jim crow.

And, they don’t know enough to say “no”.

Googling on "Athletes reach their physical peak at age "
doesn’t give any hits that sound like before age 21. Common ages seem to be “mid 20s”. Given that training takes less than a year, age 21 for recruitment seems just fine.

You really want to give aholes like Jim Duggar extra votes? The evangelicals won’t be letting their kids fill out the ballots themselves.

Tbf, most professional athletes are training for their sport from the time they are toddlers.

Also note that the “age of invincibility” is a key factor for having 18-22 year olds as infantry.

I believe there’s something to the “age of invincibility” idea.
I understand that’s why the military wants them.
That’s also why I don’t think they should be allowed to join.

I believe it is theoretically possible to administer a political literacy test as a condition of voting, in a fair and impartial way. But given the history of using such tests to disenfranchise black Americans, there’s no way the public is going to accept the idea.

1 Like

You’re old enough to get shot at but not old enough to get shots.

It’s the most likely reason that D-Day succeeded.

If it’s an “obligation,” there should be few to zero hurdles.

1 Like

Ummm, no.

I had many an obligation raising my two children.if you think that involved few to zero hurdles, then you’ve never been a parent. Darn few obligations are easy peasy, sadly. I’ve found they often involve some degree of effort and/or sacrifice.

But to the point, I think the right/privilege thing isn’t always a meaningful question. Works for something like driving a car, or being able to worship a god of your own choosing. Voting…nah.

That said, our voter turnout is atrocious. Seems insane to put up barriers at this point.