The Rebel Forum/Go Actuary 2023 Celebrity Death Pool

I didn’t realize there were so many Neighbours fans.

I think I had him:

Harry Belafonte: DEAD!

Mr. Belafonte was an American singer, actor and activist, who popularized calypso music with international audiences in the 1950s. Belafonte is one of the few performers to have received an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony, breaking color barriers along the way. He earned his career breakthrough with the album Calypso (1956), which was the first million-selling LP by a single artist. He was also an activist in the civil rights movement and worked for many humanitarian causes. His last day-o on this earth was yesterday, as he died at age 93

soyleche and twig93 both get their first hits.

Standings:

contestant Normal Deaths Tragic Deaths Unique Deaths Total Points
ArthurItas 4 0 2 37
PatientZombie 2 0 0 24
hotkarl 1 1 1 24
traina 2 0 0 16
Macroman 1 0 0 13
twig93 1 0 0 11
frummie 1 0 0 9
Maphistos_Sidekick 2 0 0 8
soyleche 1 0 0 2

Keep watching those obits! :smiling_imp: (why isn’t there a devil icon? They have imps and a Japanese ogre and goblin. Not the same)

saw the notice, while watching the movie

Carolyn Bryant Donham: DEAD!

Ms. Bryant falsely accused 14 year old African American Emmitt Till, visiting Mississippi from Chicago, of speaking to her inappropriately for the Jim Crow-era south while in her family’s grocery store. He was abducted from his parents’ house by two of her relatives, lynched and murdered. His body, tossed into a river, was found a few days later and returned to Chicago. The relatives were acquitted of murder charges. His open casket funeral, to show the world how badly African Americans were treated, was attended by thousands and made him an icon of the civil rights movement. She died yesterday at age 88.

ArthurItas extends the lead with a unique hit.

Standings:
ArthurItas 5 0 3 43
PatientZombie 2 0 0 24
hotkarl 1 1 1 24
traina 2 0 0 16
Macroman 1 0 0 13
twig93 1 0 0 11
frummie 1 0 0 9
soyleche 1 0 0 2
Keep watching those obits!
1 Like

took him off my list this year

sigh He was #20 on my list. Unfortunately only the first 15 count.

Rolf Harris. Points for a few people I think
BBC News - Rolf Harris: Serial abuser and ex-entertainer dies aged 93

1 Like

Dang, HK with the 1-2 punch.

Somewhat surprised nobody here had Tina Turner this year. RIP.

2 Likes

she is the 2nd i removed from last year’s list

Rolf Harris: DEAD!

Mr. Harris was an Australian musician, television personality, painter and actor. He often used unusual instruments like the didgeridoo and the stylophone in his performances, and is credited with the invention of the wobble board. He was convicted in England in 2014 of the sexual assault of four underage girls, which effectively ended his career. He died May 10 at the age of 93.

ArthurItas stays in the lead with a pool leading 6th hit, and hotkarl moves into second place.

Standings:

ArthurItas 6 0 3 56
hotkarl 2 1 1 39
PatientZombie 2 0 0 24
traina 2 0 0 16
Macroman 1 0 0 13
twig93 1 0 0 11
frummie 1 0 0 9
soyleche 1 0 0 2

1 Like

Timothy Keller: DEAD!

Mr. Keller was an American Calvinist pastor and theologian. He was the chairman and co-founder of Redeemer City to City, which trains pastors for service around the world. He was also the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City and the author of The New York Times bestselling books The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith (2008), Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God (2014), and The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism (2008). The prequel for the latter is Making Sense of GOD: An Invitation to the Skeptical (2016). He died May 19 at age 72.

ArthurItas and Hotkarl strike again, Hotkarl closing the gap slightly between first and second place.

Standings:

ArthurItas 7 0 3 64
hotkarl 3 1 1 53
PatientZombie 2 0 0 24
traina 2 0 0 16
Macroman 1 0 0 13
twig93 1 0 0 11
frummie 1 0 0 9
soyleche 1 0 0 2
1 Like

Took him off the starters this year

1 Like

Did anyone have him this year? I don’t see anyone…

I didn’t have her in this pool and I don’t think anyone else did either, but I had her as my top pick in my $ pool: RIP Teresa Taylor, drummer for the Butthole Surfers

George Winterling, the creator of the heat index, passed away at 91…but it felt like 103.

3 Likes

RIP Frank Field

I didn’t realize there were 2 old and famous guys named Frank Field. This was not the one I picked, but perhaps it’s someone elses?