The problem with being a classicist in cuisine

One time I watched a video of an crocodile eating a Zebra or something. It tore its intestines out and gobbled it up, I guess there was probably poop inside and the crocodile ate the poop too.

Uh, the idea of cooking meat came well after the idea of eating meat.

Meat-eating by members of the homo genus is estimated to be around 2 million years old. Control of fire, on the other hand, about 1 million years.

But yes, certainly disease was common. And on a personal note, since I hate all forms of raw animals… :nauseated_face:

Source for hunting:

Source for fire: Human Ancestors Tamed Fire Earlier Than Thought | HISTORY

We’ve probably lost some of the micro biome that helped keep our ancestors from getting as sick since we started cooking our meat.

2 Likes

Undoubtedly. Even among modern humans, there’s great variation in how sick you’d get from, say, drinking tap water in a developing nation.

Chimpanzees hunt and eat meat. They don’t cook.

its been sung about before

1 Like

Maybe our sense of smell decreased once we started cooking meat to avoid disease.

Maybe. I am the family sniffer (does this still smell good?) and I think I’m fairly accurate. But I think it’s more likely that it’s our immune system that decreased. Many animals routinely eat spoiled meat. And the immune system is somewhat metabolically expensive.

Can scavengers eat rotten meat?

But the scavengers themselves do not normally get sick from eating decaying carcasses teeming with pathogens . Why? The secret lies in their unique sets of genes that give them super-strong stomachs and immune system, a new study published in Genome Biology has found

this is what we need

We’ll get working on that. We’ll get back to you in a million years.

the way my acid reflux acts up, you’d think I’m already there