The Big 2 Spending Bills

Not really. You made a passing reference to the water in Flint, Michigan, and another to cyber attacks. Then you went off on a tangent about other countries. You didn’t go into detail about what this bill specifically was going to do about those things (and how much money was for those things).

:roll_eyes:

I like that their opinions don’t fit neatly into the two-parties. I wish there were a whole lot more senators like them. That’s the problem really. In a better country, the moderates would out-number the parties.

2 Likes

Then complain about the 97 or 98 senators who vote for the big spending bills when their party holds the senate and against the bills when they don’t.

1 Like

I was specifically calling you out on the bait-and-switch between $1.2T and $4.7T nonsense.

As far as the “do your research” thing goes, I’d say your positions are the same. You both are taking a stance on this. He is pro-, you are con-. You have the same (lack-of) responsibility to support your positions. It’s nice if you or he does research, but not necessary.

Also, having produced a big thoughtful response for you, I’d say you owe TP some sort response of your own, beyond what you said 20 posts ago, even just a “I don’t like broadband either” kind of thing. Otherwise it feels like you egged him on to do a bunch of work for nothing.

Don’t worry, I complain about them too. :slight_smile:

Well for one in Cincinnati the Brent Spence bridge is part of the plan. That is the I-75 bridge over the Ohio. Anyone who has driven that bridge would attest it is far past time for that to be done. I don’t know what every locale in the country needs, but I trust their state politicians and elected representatives to meet their people’s needs.

The 2 bills seem to be pretty well tied together, don’t they?

Simply saying “clean water and broadband” isn’t much work when the point is to support the number of dollars being spent.

Yeah, we’ve mentioned how “roads and bridges” take up less than half of the smaller bill already.

Why do you hate clean water and fast internet???

Good question. I think it’s like when you decide to get remodeling done (to borrow TP’s analogy) and you are talking to contractor. You could repair the driveway. You could fix the plumbing. You could upgrade the kitchen. You could install a new in-ground pool (but you know that you shouldn’t.)

To me it makes a lot of sense to talk about which things are worthwhile.

One thing in the larger bill that I support is expanding Medicare to include Dental, Vision, Hearing, and lowering the age of Medicare eligibility to age 60 from 65.

I support the inclusion of Dental/Vision/Hearing as these are key areas for seniors and would help close some of the gaps in coverage for those on a fixed income.

The eligibility age lowering would help to reduce premiums for all younger aged individuals as it is removing the top spenders from the commercial market. It also allows for easier retirement decisions if one person wishes to retire before age 65 or if it is a one income home and the main breadwinner is older than the other they can retire at 65 and the other individual at age 63 or whatever wouldn’t need to worry about getting health insurance for two years before they are eligible for Medicare as well.

Do you oppose those items? If so, why?

If they’re that important, pull them out into a stand-alone bill and debate them on their own.

2 Likes

Are you going to answer my question? Do you support those items or not? If not, why?

Don’t know. Put them in a stand-alone bill and let’s see the debate.

Why can’t you know? I’m asking about specific provisions

Everything sounds great until you start getting the details and dollars.

So… you aren’t willing to put out any position of support or against on policy on your own.

Thanks for confirming you don’t actually have anything to discuss and just want to complain.

I said it sounds great, but there’s no details other than “expand medicare”.

1 Like

What details do you need? Seriously. I’m trying to engage you and you’re giving me nothing. I want to hear your thoughts on what is important, and why. Not just “I don’t know”. Tell me why they sound good to you. What would you be willing to do to add those benefits. What would give you pause on adding those benefits.

Otherwise I’ll assume you have no ability to think for yourself without pre-made talking points.