Supreme court overturns Roe v. Wade

I think the larger issue is that in america, secularism in government was seen as good for religion, which was supposed to exist primarily in the sphere of personal conscience. This is not as true in europe, as i understand it, which may help explain some of the french laws.

Remember that when congress first considered school prayer in the 1960s, major religious leaders came out against it. This was partially because they thought a prayer that made everybody happy would have to be devoid of any real content.

It is very unfortunate this trend is reversing in america. In my opinion, this christian nationalism is anti american. There is a tradition in american protestantism which argues that the corruption of the church has really started when it was adopted as rome’s state religion.

2 Likes

It’s anti-American and anti-Christian IMO.

5 Likes

Somebody must have a comment on this:

I like the result, I like the fact it was a referendum.

edit: I see it is in the “Republicans Say the Darndest Things” thread.

Gilead will have to pick a new capital

1 Like

Kansas is not as deep red as people think it is. [It’s not red like Oklahoma, Idaho or Wyoming.] It’s not particularly close to being purple, but people there are starting to wake up to the damage Republicans inflicted there over the last couple of decades.

The fact that tens of thousands of people showed up to specifically vote on (against) the proposed amendment suggests Republicans may be headed toward a day of reckoning. Probably not this year - at least 60% of votes cast for either party went for Republicans, and I don’t think Democrats didn’t have any meaningful contested races is enough of an explanation to dismiss it - but it’s clear Democrats have an issue they can hammer away on if they figure out how to do that and not chase the red laser dots of climate change, student debt, defunding police, equality and diversity, and other issues they repeatedly trip over.

2 Likes

Perhaps this article is incorrect with respect to the issue.

30 posts were split to a new topic: (National) Taxation Solution(s) Discussion 2022

The last elected incumbent Kansas governor to run and be defeated was Mike Hayden (R) in 1990. Since then, when the incumbent doesn’t run for re-election the seat has flipped parties.

Two different individuals in the same party haven’t won consecutive terms since 1966. [John Anderson Jr. (R) served 1960-1964, William Avery (R) served 1964-1966.]

Neither party has held the governor’s seat for longer than 8 years since 1957.

Apparently Dobbs inspired new voter registration among women in Kansas

5 Likes

Aftermath here in Kansas.

1 Like

Good stuff. Would be interesting to see the impact in other states / nationwide too.

As I said, the very first thing that popped into my head when I read about the leaked decision was Yamamoto’s alleged “awaken a sleeping giant” quote, and that graph seems to back up my thought/prediction.

The GOP has benefited from talking about abortion for decades. Now that they’re actually doing / trying to do it… it seems like it’s going to backfire spectacularly. Or it at least has that potential.

1 Like

In a direct vote, “abortion, available or not?”, legal access to abortions is hugely popular. But when it comes to voting for people, and it gets bundled with lots of other stuff, I’m less optimistic. Still, i hope all those new voters in Kansas stick around for the general election.

1 Like

I agree to a point, but only to a point.

Women skew Democratic in the first place, and I believe that unregistered eligible adults also slew Democratic.

So this should help the Dems. But the momentum generated is almost certain to be short-lived. Once we settle into a new normal - whatever that is (federal law legalizing abortion everywhere, abortion is illegal in some places but not others, something else) people will again get complacent.

I dunno. If there are a lot of places where abortion is illegal, instead of grainy photos of fetuses in pain we’ll have high quality photos of attractive young women dying. That might provide long-term political fodder.

I also wonder, but can’t find any data… are some/many/most of these new voters young? I did have that thought, that perhaps this would get more young people plugged in, and hopefully at least a chunk of them will continue to vote.

I was wondering because, when the SCOTUS thing got leaked, there was a big protest in my city. Hundreds of people, mostly female, mostly younger.

With the availability of abortifacient pills that can be sent through the mail, the frequency of this happening will be less than in the 60s.

And I think most of the people who would be horrified by such images are already pro-choice. So I’m not sure how much impact it will have.

I think almost everyone is horrified of images of pain and death featuring cute kids and attractive young adults. I think we’re just made that way.

Most of the anti-abortion pics I see are the opposite - trying to show fetuses as close to fully-developed humans as possible. Cute white fetuses, in particular.

2 Likes

Looking at the Roe and the coach praying at midfield, I’m starting to get the feeling the Pope is now an honorary member of the SCOTUS. It pains me to say it, but that’s pretty much the Vatican’s voice. We do have 6 Catholic justices now, a most unprecedented situation.

I’ve watched some of my Catholic relatives struggle through all this Trumpist nonsense. They just have a really, really hard time ignoring the churches stance on abortion, and end up voting GOP. Based solely on that one issue. The desire to adhere to Catholic guidance is very strong.

Jesus never said anything about abortion. He did say a few words about helping the poor.

1 Like