Stocks go up down up down up down up

I’m slightly alarmed (is that a contradiction in terms?) at how quickly my net worth is increasing lately - if only because of hope that the country will dig itself deeper into debt to keep the economy chugging along.

Don’t get me wrong - no doubt this is a difficult time for some people who could benefit from aid. I just keep wondering how and when this is going to bite us in the butt

Stocks go up, stocks go down. You can’t explain that.

1 Like

That’s meaningless unless you’re considering selling/buying.

Our realtor says our house is worth at least 200k+ more since COVID based on how hot the market is in our area and the comps.

We can’t move in the short term anyway, so another meaningless number.

1 Like

My house is up a generous +6.5% YTD according to Zillow, though I take that with two grains of salt.

But I wasn’t really even referring to my home, even though I posted something about it in the random thoughts thread. Stocks are up quite a bit lately and those are easy to sell [your definition of easy might depend on how much in taxable capital gains you stand to report to the IRS]

You can always sell half of it before the election, and see what happens after. It can boom further or crash depending. Either that’s the inflection point, or the vaccine or lack of.

Time to rebalance!

This is the part I’m wondering about - I can adjust my investments easily enough, Lord knows I do that too much as it is…

This is why rich people are never happy. Cash out on everything, retire, and stop thinking about life.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether they eat little or much, but as for the rich, their abundance permits them no sleep. (Ecclesiastes 5:12)

I don’t stress out on it, I enjoy watching it.

Two days of election news and my net worth increases over $50K
Man, that’s more than I make in a month!

all time record highs this week

where is my early retirement gang at?

I don’t know, klay sounds pretty happy go lucky to me.

He might have a hard time squeezing a camel through a needle later on, but I’m very jealous of anyone content enough to just do their job, raise a family, and watch their nest egg grow.

My kids are 20 and 23 and only ambitious enough to go to community college, so that is easier on the career ACAS retirement plan.
I’m not a big spender, there isn’t a lot I want. I’m hoping to get close to $2M at 57 when the mortgage ceases, and retire or work part time for a couple years. Of course the stock market could move that goal.
I’m very content. Sure I’ll go to bridge tournaments and ideally visit Europe but those trips don’t have to completely break the bank either.

1 Like

Stocks go up. Stocks go down. Stocks go up again.

Tesla now has a higher market cap than Berkshire Hathaway…

Seems like a lot of irrational exuberance there.

well, that’s what the analysts said 4 years ago, and every year since, before it hit finally 1000%

I did my EOY NW calcs and had to double take investment balances. Even this week accounts are all shooting up again. My tech fund is blowing up particularly.

Now I dont want to speculate, and I dont think I can time the market, but…

If I take a straight average of 12 ETF/mutual funds in my investment portfolio, the average P/E is 33.8 and P/B is 6.0. 1/6 of my portfolio is QQQ which has a P/E of 47.5 and a P/B of 17.6; if I exclude that is comes down to a P/E of 31.0 and a P/B of 3.6 - those numbers are still historically crazy high.

Historical graphs:

I think there is going to be a long and painful unwinding with a decade of no returns just like around the 2000s, but I have no idea when it will start.

valuations