Standards of decorum for a Supreme Court Justice's spouse

1 Like

She definitely is, but I think she’s also in a state of mental decline/instability. Which is not separate from the Q rabbit hole but it’s sad she has succumbed to it.

I don’t know how I feel about the spouse of a crazy and heavily-biased person serving on the nation’s highest court. I don’t think I could be completely divorced from my partner’s ranting unless I was, well, divorced.

Justice Thomas should either go public about his wife’s mental instability and claim neutrality or resign.

Regarding @Triweasel saying she doesn’t believe Democrats committed election fraud, not sure how this jives with that:

I get that when you really want something to be true it’s way easier to find evidence to support your goal. That happens all the time.

But, the evidence she was looking for was that there really was felony fraud. She wanted someone to bring the evidence forward. And, presumably have law enforcement investigate and arrest people who were truly guilty. And, get the correct vote totals without the criminal fraud.

She wasn’t saying (in these text messages) “Sure, Biden won a majority of the electoral votes fairly. But, he’d make a terrible president, let’s storm the capitol and keep Congress from certifying that.”

The second is “insurrection”, the first isn’t.

1 Like

Well, maybe it should, but I’m pretty sure there’s nothing in the constitution about that for supreme court justices.

Also, there isn’t any obvious evidence that he’s gone down that rabbit hole. I don’t think we even should impeach people for having a crazy or disabled spouse.

Perhaps, like Sandra day O’Connor, he should resign to care for his spouse. But it seems reasonable to leave that up to him.

1 Like

note that 20 of the texts were sent before Nov 24

I think this is relevant to the Clarence part of this. After sending 20 text messages in 20 days, she suddenly goes silent and doesn’t send another until Jan 10. What could have caused that dramatic change?

My “most plausible” is that she shared what she was doing with her husband. He made two pretty obvious observations:
– There’s a good chance one or more of these fraud charges shows up at the Supreme Court and I’ll want to be part of the ruling.
– Washington DC is about as leakproof as a sieve. There’s also a good chance Gini’s text messages will be out in public before that case hits the SC.

And, he drew the obvious conclusion “Gini dear, if you want me to be part of panel that decides these things, you can’t be leaving a paper trail like that.”

1 Like

3 Likes

I agree with your first sentence. The second is sort of true, but there were dozens of investigations and lawsuits in multiple states that proved it was all BS that she was clearly aware of. She was a true believer though. The third is sort of true in that she wanted Biden and the Democrats jailed. The fourth is false IMO. Ginny Thomas was on the board of CNP Action, the group who lead the push to have select states submit phony electors certifying Trump won. There was no attempt at accurate recounts or fraud investigation in those states in this effort, nor any evidence Trump could possibly have won a majority there. Ignore the vote completely and certify Trump won was the goal.

1 Like

This seems likely

Okay, that’s relevant. I was looking at what the texts indicate.

Again, note the timing of the texts. Barr wouldn’t make his ‘FBI has found no evidence of fraud’ until Dec 1, and even then a true believer could think the FBI wasn’t looking hard enough.

Of course. I’m saying that if he espoused the same delusions that she did he should be impeached, but even then I don’t see it happening. It’s possible there is nothing in the constitution about problems pertaining to SCOTUS senility or impairment because they didn’t think it would ever be an issue. Maybe people didn’t typically live long enough to lose their faculties as much as today. It really should be addressed tho.

SCOTUS needs term limits. Not just a handful of years, but something forcing them out. 18 years? 22? I don’t know, but people in their 70s-80s deciding our future is worrisome, and this is a clear example of that.

1 Like

Not even Edith Wilson?

I think the issue there was more his stroke than her mental health.

:oyh:

18 years, phased in such that we achieve a routine rhythm of one SCOTUS Justice retiring each odd-numbered year (barring vacancies for other reasons).

We’ve reached a point where politics is manifesting by Justices hanging around in office longer than they should, in the hopes of retiring when either a D or R President is in office, and where Presidents are making a point of appointing younger Justices in the hopes of keeping that seat occupied with someone of a political persuasion longer.

5 Likes

It’s hard to believe that she is this dumb. She has a law degree and is married to a SCOTUS justice. However, if those texts are to be taken at face value, she is completely lost.

The administration as a whole wasn’t just looking for fraud. This wasn’t a secret investigation by the doj (or not just that.)

It was broadcasting these messages they should have know were false. It was submitting court cases based on such bad evidence that lawyers have been disciplined.

In other words, it was a propaganda effort, not really a search for truth.

Sending these texts to the administration is very different from sending them to most people. It moves her position from the sphere of her private thoughts into public policy, and potentially makes her partially responsible for the propaganda effort. I would more closely agree with your position if she had instead sent them to some random friends who were not creating the propaganda effort.

I do agree it is hard to know much without all the texts, and the context. And i can’t even read the WP article.

Even less so having a stupid or deluded spouse.

Yeah, Sotomayor was wrong to say that. Did she ever dial that back and admit that she had her facts wrong?

I mean we all make dumb mis-speaks from time to time and that means we’re human, not disqualified for public office. I don’t think Obama deserved the criticism he got for the 57 states comment, nor W for calling Africa a nation. I truly believe that Obama knew how many states there were while campaigning for POTUS and W knew that Africa - where he’s traveled many times - is not a country. It’s just… we all say the wrong thing sometimes.

I’m not even slightly a fan of Sotomayor, but if she later admitted that she screwed up, I’m more than willing to extend the benefit of the doubt that she was not intentionally trying to mislead or do anything sinister.

It’s when it’s intentional that it’s a problem IMO.

He’s in his 70s. How old is she? She may be suffering from dementia. Stuff happens to people. My mom was really smart for most of her life, but in her last few month she said some pretty nutty things.