Spreadsheet Screw-ups (or bad choice of Excel for serious purposes)

Owners who have already calculated the discount on their property should be aware that the spreadsheet on the Ministry of Housing website has been updated.

The Ministry of Housing has made the following announcement, preceded by three exclamation marks, on its website:

“!!! Due to an error in the formula determining the discount to be taken into account, the spreadsheet has been updated as of 21/11/2022. Calculations performed prior to 21/11/2022 resulted in an overestimated discount for properties acquired between two and 15 years after the year of construction of the property in question.”

https://logement.public.lu/fr/politique/lareformedelalegislationsurlebailausagedhabitationrevueetcompletee.html

After the press conference on 6 October, during which Minister for Housing Henri Kox presented the reform of the rent and lease law, a spreadsheet was uploaded on the website logement.lu, allowing users to see how rent is calculated with a price cap of 3.5 and 3%. On Tuesday, a new version of this spreadsheet was uploaded after an error was discovered.

According to the reform of the rent and lease law, in the future, every landlord must use the spreadsheet to determine whether the rent they wish to charge is less than 3% or 3.5% of the invested capital.

It is still only a draft law, if this reform is adopted, the spreadsheet will become an annex to the law.

Just posting a spreadsheet with people’s Social Security numbers, no biggee

When the House Jan. 6 committee wrapped up its work in recent weeks, it posted hundreds of records online, including interview transcripts, audio recordings and text messages.

Also buried in the massive cache was a spreadsheet with nearly 2,000 Social Security numbers associated with visitors to the White House in December 2020, including at least three members of Trump’s Cabinet, a few Republican governors and numerous Trump allies.

While the spreadsheet with the numbers was taken down Wednesday, the high-profile nature of the people whose data was exposed probably puts them at an “elevated risk” because the information would be especially useful to intelligence agencies, said James Lee, chief operating officer of the Identity Theft Resource Center, a nonprofit organization that advises victims of identity crimes and compromises.

Lee recommended that people listed follow common tips for victims of identity crimes, including freezing their credit, using a multi-factor authentication app for their online accounts and setting up credit and account monitoring.

Exposed individuals don’t appear to have been notified about the leak. The Government Publishing Office (GPO), which originally published the file, did not respond to a request for comment on whether it planned to notify people whose Social Security numbers were exposed.

The Social Security numbers appeared as part of the White House visitor logs published by the committee. Many Social Security numbers in the logs were redacted, but around 1,900 of them were not. The numbers were buried several hundred rows down in the second tab of the spreadsheet, which represented visits to the White House on a day in December 2020.

The file appears to have been added to the GPO’s collection of Jan. 6 materials, which are available for download on its website, sometime this week. It’s not clear how many people had downloaded the spreadsheet by Wednesday, when the GPO removed it from its website shortly after The Post notified the agency of the numbers’ existence. GPO has since re-uploaded the spreadsheet with the Social Security numbers redacted.

There is now a bit of finger-pointing over whose responsibility it was to make sure personal data wasn’t exposed as part of the committee’s investigation into the attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, by supporters of then-President Donald Trump.

https://twitter.com/ShitMgmtSays/status/1614339227894026241

Oooh, I gotta dig more into this one

2 Likes

Ooh…I’m 3rd-degree connected to Ms. Javice on linkedin.

…and headline s/b be “JP Morgan acquired a scam company, Frank said”

BEWARE PIVOT TABLES

Further to our response to this request which was provided on 30th November 2022, an error has been found in the figures that were originally provided in relation to ED attendances for Myocarditis and Pericarditis. This was a formula error that occurred during the process of simplifying the data into a pivot table. The value that was displayed was the sum total of a numeric value within the raw data, specifically a row count, as the years progressed the row count increased meaning the sum was greater. The value displayed should have been a count and not a sum.

Hmmm, I haven’t written something for the SOA in a while…

2 Likes

As part of her testimony, prosecutors shared with defense lawyers a set of internal FBI messages that Miller had sent and received from colleagues related to the case — a standard production of evidence in criminal cases. To compile those exchanges, FBI headquarters sent Miller a spreadsheet of her messages — culled from a computer network classified at the “secret” level. Miller then reviewed the messages and filtered them to ensure only relevant, unclassified exchanges were included.

Miller sent her final list to prosecutors, who then packaged the messages into an Excel spreadsheet that they provided to defense lawyers. But unbeknownst to them, the messages Miller initially filtered out — including some that DOJ officials say are likely classified — were left in the final document as “hidden” rows in the Excel spreadsheet. Defense counsel stumbled upon them and began grilling Miller about them in front of jurors in the case.

:person_facepalming:

5 Likes

At a prior employer, we were relocating to a new building, and someone circulated a spreadsheet to the whole company showing their desk location in the new building. Except contained in the file, in a hidden column, was everyone’s pay grade.

Long story short, some folks got pretty big raises out of that deal.

6 Likes

I was once the resident “expert” on our small company database. Learned that my boss had 7x my salary? :thinking:

2 Likes

I left a job where I felt I was underpaid and my next job was the company that did the first company’s life insurance. One of my early assignments was to pore through census data for data that we had in our files but not input into a computer anywhere. So I reviewed the census of my former employer, which didn’t include pay, but did include life insurance amounts. Life insurance was 2x pay rounded to the next $1,000. Which gave me a $500 range for everyone’s pay.

Seeing it confirmed that I was indeed underpaid, as I suspected. And reinforced my decision to leave. :woman_shrugging:

Another time my boss handed me a stack of papers that (unbeknownst to either of us) included everyone’s bonus. That was actually unsurprising to me. The people who were obviously higher up than me got more than me. The people who were obviously lower level than me got less than me. The people at about the same level as me got about the same as me: with slight variations depending on perceived job performance.

All-in-all the bonus list was pretty :yawning_face:.

Yeah, my former boss was around 6x my total compensation, although I’m guessing that a llllllooooottttt of his pay was bonuses.

Meanwhile I don’t think I’ve ever made significantly more than double a direct report. At least, not a full time employee. I’ve made more than double the interns, but I don’t think that counts.

I was making like 2.06x my lowest-paid direct report’s pay at one point, so slightly more than double, but only slightly.

Given public company CEO compensation is known, the multipliers pretty much need to start ramping up somewhere along the line…

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/edinburgh-sick-kids-hospital-hospitals-inquiry-told-blunder-which-forced-delay-in-opening-was-honest-human-error-4118779

Edinburgh Sick Kids Hospital: Hospitals inquiry told blunder which forced delay in opening was ‘honest human error’

Scottish Hospitals Inquiry hears evidence on spreadsheet which gave wrong specifications on ventilation for critical care areas

The spreadsheet blunder which forced the last-minute cancellation of the opening of Edinburgh’s new Sick Kids Hospital was down to “honest human error”, an inquiry has heard.

The hospital, next to the Royal Infirmary at Little France, was due to welcome its first patients in July 2019, but the plans were halted after the ventilation in critical care was found not to comply with national standards. Auditors commissioned by NHS Lothian later traced the problem to an error in the “environmental matrix” which set the air flow requirements for critical care at four air changes per hour instead of ten.

Appearing at the Scottish Hospitals Inquiry, Michael O’Donnell, director of the Edinburgh office of mechanical and electrical engineer design consultants Hulley & Kirkwood, was quizzed on the paperwork for the project. John MacGregor KC, deputy counsel to the inquiry, showed him the environmental matrix and highlighted entries for critical care areas in the hospital which said there should be four air changes per hour whereas the requirement was in fact for ten and the correct figure was given on a separate document, the “room function sheet”. Mr O’Donnell said the matrix entries were errors and he agreed similar errors had been picked up on an earlier version of the matrix in 2010.

Mr MacGregor asked: “How were these issues not picked up at this stage?” Mr O’Donnell said: “Reflecting on it, I think the room function reference sheet has in a way blinded me from actually seeing that in the department sheets. I can’t explain it any other way. It has been an honest human error.”

The hospital eventually opened fully in March 2021. It cost an extra £91.6 million to sort out the problems. And NHS Lothian was forced to pay £1.4m every month for the empty and unused hospital between February 2019 and February 2021 because it had already officially been handed over by the builders.

Officials Say They’ve Fixed a ‘Sorting’ Breakdown in Virginia Booze Raffle

Virginia liquor officials said they’re taking steps to automate the random lottery process for rare bottles after an outcry from bourbon enthusiasts who say the state bungled a recent lottery and allowed some entrants to win multiple bottles despite steep odds of that outcome occurring naturally.

The leadership of the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority discussed the lottery issues Tuesday morning during a meeting of the authority’s board of directors.

ABC officials told the board a problem occurred in the last lottery—which had more than 40,000 entries—due to a “breakdown in Excel sorting,” referring to the commonly used data processing software Microsoft Excel. The authority was using Excel to sort through lottery entries and determine the winners.
“I can’t speak to the inner workings of Excel. It sorted some of it and didn’t sort some of the rest,” said ABC Director of Internal Audit Mike Skrocki.

The authority also offered assurances that the possibility for human or spreadsheet errors would be reduced under a new system that will require less human oversight to pick winners at random. Officials indicated the new system will be implemented immediately and is expected to be formally announced when the next round of lottery results go out.

The previous system, said ABC Chief Digital and Branding Officer Vida Williams, allowed lottery entrants to enter multiple times using different home and email addresses. Though winners are asked to show identification to verify their address when they go to pick up a bottle they won, ABC officials said the old system appeared to let one person submit 241 different lottery entries.

“Our old process was very manual,” said Skrocki. “You could put Sesame Street as your address. It’s going to take it.”

Officials said they weren’t sure if allowing multiple entries contributed to some people seeming to defy the odds to win multiple bottles. But addresses will be more diligently verified going forward, they said, by checking them using location data from Google. The authority will also be implementing a stronger review process to check the results for statistical anomalies, officials said.

“The automated process does dramatically decrease the opportunity to game the system,” Williams said.

The lottery controversy is the latest rare-liquor drama for ABC, whose internal logistics data was offered for sale online last year to help bourbon hunters get a head start on figuring out which ABC stores would be getting highly sought-after products that aren’t usually available. The two men involved in the scheme, one a former ABC employee, both pleaded guilty to one felony charge related to computer trespassing.

The authority’s explanation of what Williams called a “hiccup” hasn’t satisfied many of its customers. Statements ABC has posted on Facebook about the matter have been followed by a flood of skeptical responses, many questioning why the state should even be in the business of running liquor lotteries.

“In addition to the government not being able to properly run a booze raffle, a booze raffle exists,” wrote one Facebook commenter.

Another respondent quoted a line about propaganda from George Orwell’s dystopian novel .”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears,” the commenter wrote. “It was their final, most essential command.”

At Tuesday’s meeting, authority officials reiterated their belief that the flaws in the recent lottery didn’t appear to be intentional mischief by ABC employees and noted that anyone employed by the authority is barred from participating in the lotteries.

“We believe in equitable access to all of the products that we sell,” Williams said.

Williams also noted that most lotteries ABC conducted within the past year did not see similar problems, calling that “part of that story that is missing.”

“It made us seem like we’re a lot more egregious in oversight than we actually have been,” she said.

Some ABC board members pressed for more information on exactly where the problem occurred and how the new system would prevent it from happening again.

Board Chair Tim Hugo, a former Republican delegate, asked if the authority’s new system was something already being used successfully elsewhere or a system designed internally that would be more like a “beta test.”

ABC officials said elements of the new system are commonly accepted industry standards without going into specifics about the technology powering the new process.

“If you don’t know exactly how it happened other than that there were vulnerabilities … how do you know that this solution of dealing with the addresses stops the problem?” asked ABC board member Mark Rubin, who previously served as a senior adviser to U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine, a Democrat from Virginia, when Kaine was governor.

Authority officials said the new process will also involve a new, algorithmically driven way of picking winners at random, removing the need for manual sorting of Excel spreadsheets.

“We run the randomization through a statistical process,” said Williams.

Rubin noted he had gone to law school because statistics weren’t his strong suit.

“So your confidence level is very high that this problem is eliminated?” Rubin asked.

Williams replied: “My confidence is exceptionally high.”

I think I know what happened.

and I’m willing to bet there will be more screw-ups

Is “involve a new, algorithmically driven way of picking winners at random” different from “using an algorithm to pick winners at random”?

Perhaps when they say “removing the need for manual sorting of Excel spreadsheets” means they’re going to write a macro.

“We run the randomization through a statistical process” - more gobbledygook.

Wait…did they used ChatGPT to write this?

I think instead of using =RAND() they used =RANDBETWEEN(m,n)

1 Like

no, they can just use =SORT()

via Patrick O’Beirne at EuSprIG:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

New Winner Named in Austrian Party Vote After Excel Blunder

• Weekend assembly voted Babler, not Doskozil as party leader

• Tallying error led to wrong delegate being named winner: chair

Abstimmung doch gewonnen: Babler will Auszählung neu prüfen - news.ORF.at

According to the head of the electoral commission, Grubesa, the votes
were not counted incorrectly, but the results were mixed up. It is
therefore a technical error. The error happened when transferring to an
Excel spreadsheet. The lists from the ballot boxes were brought together
and fed into the system. The mistake happened: “The result was
reversed,” says Grubesa.

Hans Peter Doskozil - Wikipedia

Hans Peter Doskozil: Due to an error in the count of his party’s
national congress in June 2023, he was assumed to be the SPÖ’s party
leader from 3 to 5 June 2023, when the error was discovered and his
opponent Andreas Babler was declared party leader.

So, what we’re figuring was that somebody screwed up HOW TO SORT

More:

(since Bloomberg is a pita when you try to link there)

An Austrian opposition party was forced to overturn the results of its recent leadership election after a spreadsheet error led officials to accidentally announce the wrong winner, the Associated Press reported.

Over the weekend, Hans Peter Doskozil, the well-known governor of Burgenland province in southeastern Austria, was declared the winner by a margin of 317 to 280.

But on Monday, the center-left Social Democrats announced that an inputting error had reversed the election results, meaning that Andreas Babler, the mayor of a town outside of Vienna, was the true winner.

“If you can’t organize elections, you won’t win either,” Douglas Hoyos leader of the rival NEOS party, wrote on Twitter. “The Austrians deserve better.”

The party initially conducted a recount because it discovered it was missing a vote from the expected total. Micaela Grubesa, head of the party’s electoral commission, apologized for the error but said the results could stand without the need to hold a new convention. The party will now work toward a “complete comeback of social democracy,” Grubesa said, per the AP.

BERLIN (AP) — Austria’s main center-left opposition party on Monday reversed the result of its weekend leadership election, announcing that a computer error originally led to the wrong candidate being declared the winner.

Andreas Babler, the mayor of the town of Traiskirchen, outside Vienna, becomes the Social Democrats’ new leader as the party tries to turn around its fortunes ahead of a national election expected next year. At a party convention on Saturday, Hans Peter Doskozil — the governor of the southeastern Burgenland province and a figure better known to the public — had narrowly been declared the winner.

At a hastily called news conference on Monday, the head of the party’s electoral commission, Michaela Grubesa, announced that it was in fact Babler and not Doskozil who won, taking 317 votes to Doskozil’s 280, the Austria Press Agency reported.

Grubesa said that a recount had taken place on Monday because one vote was missing from the original total. In the process, party officials discovered that “the result was reversed” on Saturday due to an error that occurred when votes were put into a spreadsheet, she said.

Is this a manual entry error?