Something extravagant you bought just because

Are you serious? In actuarial? Not too beat you up, but that seem really low.
Also I’d do the vacation before a watch. I’m big in experiences over goods.

1 Like

Yeah this doesn’t sound right.

Speaking of vaca, I finally saw some movement from the fam on going swimming in James bay.some years ago on a Thursday I decided we are going to James bay on friday, jump in, then come home. I got vetoed, we went to NYC instead. But covids changed things, I got a maybe instead of a no.

I just want to be able to say that I went swimming in James bay.

I think a lot of the Rolex comments are people kind of talking past one another. Personal finance is both personal and complicated (at least for many). If you want to become wealthy, whatever that number is, I think the single most important metric is your savings rate. If you save zero and double your income, and still save zero, you’ll never become wealthy. So keep an eye on that. And then try to increase income while monotonically increasing that savings rate.

Or if you don’t want to become wealthy, John S Mill has the right idea.

If you want a Rolex you can probably buy it with pretty minimal impact to your life. But if you want to buy four Rolexes per year, every year, that could put a dent in things.

Actually, and ironically, according to Wikipedia the author of the book died at age 71 when hit by a drunk driver.

hide the money y’all, there is poor people around

I can agree to this.

The majority of my happiness in adulthood comes from nostalgia or deja vu, or a combination of the two. Mostly while I’m intoxicated though. Occasionally through scent, but that’s hit or miss.

NYC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> James Bay

Does James Bay have a decent Happy Hour scene???

Remember that time we went swimming in James bay >>>>>>Remember that time we went to NYC.:slightly_smiling_face:

92nd Street Y. It has a pool and everything!!! :man_playing_water_polo: :woman_playing_water_polo: :swimming_man: :swimming_woman:

Plus I’ve seen people jet ski in the East River!!!

Hopefully they finished up their activities before the East River corroded their jet skis. :slight_smile:

Ngl a family trip to NYC is going to happen as well. Street food, fine dining, Soho, etc.ive been many times for work but going as a tourist is a whole different experience.

I am not an actuary, nor am I in an actuarial field, per se.

Who’s James?

…what are you doing here?

It was nearby, and traveling is for suckers, so…

Pretty much…

He wanted to be with the cool kids. :+1:

I’m an actor, so I thought this site was a place to “go act” with a suffix of -uary, a place where the preceding term exists or happens, or a person connected to it; a la statuary, mortuary, textuary

Go-act-uary

4 Likes

My parents are group A millionaires. They now each seem to buy a 50K new car every three years so they are always under warranty. They were not always that way though. The car they had when I was in grade school was around for 10 years or so. It is odd that I think that was a long time, now having two cars in the garage approaching that age, with no intentions of upgrading either for something new.

Things I have bought that are extravagant…my fun car and my house both certainly extend beyond practical needs, but neither I think extend into extravagant territory. Relative to income, I feel I am still firmly in Group A

I am curious if a lot of my neighbors are in the group B category. The family across the street - a principal and and engineer should make decent money, but they have a vacation property, just bought two new SUVs, and seemed to have ripped out and remodeled their entire house with contractors at their house almost daily for the past 3 months. But they moved in 10 years ago when just starting their family. Other neighbors moving in to 4 and 5 bedroom houses when their kids are at the age of moving out…not really sure what they are doing.