SOA Talk on Covid Mortality Dec 8

With Mary Pat Campbell, FSA, MAAA (meep)

Cross-post:

While we’re doing the twitter convo tomorrow, Dec 8, 1-2pm ET, you can always tweet at me if you have comments/questions: I’m @meepbobeep

https://twitter.com/meepbobeep

This is on Twitter? I might have to figure out how to use Twitter to watch this!

I will probably use the Thread Reader App to “unroll” our convo and link here, for those who can’t use twitter at the time.

The tweets will be up after we finish the hour, so don’t worry if you can’t see it while it happens… and I will answer questions long after it’s over, if anybody asks them.

Video on the tile grid map

Can someone walk me through this like I’m an idiot. What do I click on to watch this? I see like 9 links and I’m not sure which is the one that will take me to the actual presentation???

Hmmm, I can see all of the questions but none of the replies. I guess I am a Twitter idiot.

Click on each question and it should open up to the answers.

1 Like

That only worked some of the time… user error I’m sure.

It if I clicked “latest” then I was able to see the responses.

And then huge underwear ads popped up… good thing I wasn’t in the office!

I compiled a list of the questions with links to their questions here:

Give me a moment, and I’ll try to post that list on here

Yesterday, I had a Twitter conversation with Dale Hall, Managing Director of Research at the Society of Actuaries, and Magali Barbieri, Associate Director of the Human Mortality Database, under the hashtag #SOATalksMortality.

There was a total of 12 questions that we addressed. The list of questions are below, with a link to each Twitter thread:

1. In the early 1980s, the U.S. reached 2 million deaths. Tell us about the shifts & changes that have emerged from this number to approach 3 million deaths in 2020.
  2. How did the U.S. mortality rate change between the 1980s through 2000s?
  3. People are living longer, so why an increase in mortality over the past few decades?
  4. Why have we seen mitigated improvement in mortality, such as in 2014?
  5. What are the key factors in 2020 that contributed to the nearly 3 million deaths in the U.S.? How much is 2020 an anomaly?
  6. COVID-19 deaths contributed to this increase in mortality for 2020. Can you tell us about this impact?
  7. What other issues contributed to mortality in 2020, such as opioid addiction and neurological diseases?
  8. How does the U.S. compare to other high-income, developed countries with mortality?
  9. @HMDatabase can you tell us about your recent findings on mortality & mortality improvement?
  10. What long-term mortality trends are you seeing?
  11. In terms of socioeconomics, what type of differences are you seeing with mortality?
  12. Looking to next year & beyond, what considerations do you have for mortality & mortality improvement?

Woot! It worked.

It may not be clear, but each of those questions has a link in it. It takes you to the twitter thread.