SOA Speculative Fiction and Art Contest

We gonna do it, fam?

1 Like

It was a dark and stormy monthend when a dame known to me only as NerdAlert sauntered into my office demanding to know when the reserve calculations would be finished. “They’re already done, reviewed, booked to ledger, and, above all, are 100% accurate,” I muttered. “After all,” I continued, “this is the speculative fiction contest.”

7 Likes

I’m in. And @1695814 , your opening reminds me of the story I wrote for the contest years ago, called “Eight Seconds, or Maybe Nine”, which is a detective noir piece. Probably my most actuarial, but that one didn’t win any awards.

2 Likes

I am intrigued by the art component this year. I may submit something, but no idea what. I enjoy creating all kinds of art, but excel at exactly none of it.

Do quilts count as art?

imo, yes, but you should give that opinion an appropriate amount of credibility.

1 Like

Could submit a photo of the spreadsheet quilt.

2 Likes

Mine would just be a bunch of #DIV/0, #N/A, #NAME?, #NULL!, #NUM!, #REF!, #VALUE!, #####, & Circular References

1 Like

Arranged in a pretty pattern? Just realized that this is a month old…lol.

1 Like

I finished my story, I think. I hate it.

3 Likes

My husband read my story and thinks it’s lacking a sex scene.

2 Likes

:popcorn:

3 Likes

:iat :popcorn: :

2 Likes

I’m happy to send a link to anyone via PM who wants to see a draft, as long as they promise to not blindly vote for my story without reading all the others, and not provide any feedback of any kind.

Mr NA covered the feedback for us

2 Likes

Is this an actuary dad joke?

lol no, excel is a real word too!

1 Like

Submitted. Meh.

2 Likes

Do you have to be a member of the SoA?

You do not, but you need to have passed at least one SOA exam (I believe), so most CAS members and non-credentialed students from any point would be eligible.