SOA - no more pencil/paper exams, CBT at professional testing centers

On one hand, I do agree that it’s usually worth it to take a break.

One thing to keep in mind is that taking a break at Prometric is not as easy/quick as taking a break at a paper/pencil exam.

At Prometric, you have to sign out, [bathroom break], then go through the full security procedures again to get back in, hopefully there’s not much of a line. You also have to sign in with the same proctor that signed you out. And if that proctor is busy with someone else, you just have to wait.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was pregnant a few times while taking exams and took lots of bathroom breaks. If I didn’t have assigned seating, I’d ask to be seated as close to the restrooms as possible.

Wow, I would have been fucked in my last exam if this was the case. It was only a 2.5 hour exam, but one where you really dont need the full 2.5 hours. I went to the bathroom a bunch of times. It was fast in the paper/pencil exams.

Feel free not to answer if the answer is too personal, but did you go a bunch of times because you had to, or because you could afford the time? Because “a bunch of times” in 2.5 hours seems like something you should see a doctor for.

both probably. i also think I was drinking a lot of water. Also, I have a small bladder. always have. I don’t think it’s a real issue to see a doctor for.

oh, in one of my bathroom trips, i ate a cliff bar. i get oddly hungry during these exams and you’re not allowed to eat in the room.

really glad in this case that i got to a stopping point for exams before going to the bathroom became this huge event.

I informed the proctor in advance, and asked to be seated near the door as an accommodation for being pregnant. And yeah, the time I was pregnant I used the restroom a whole lot, too.

The CAS never stopped the clock for restroom breaks, so each of my breaks was short.

Clif bars were my go-to for CAS exams, but we could eat in the room (as long as the food wasn’t distracting). That was before CAS went to CBT & now I don’t think any food or drink is allowed (water maybe?)

I limited my usual coffee consumption beforehand & drank water sparingly during to limit or eliminate my need for bathroom breaks.

I don’t know about CAS / Pearson but I know Prometric says absolutely no food or liquids, including water, in the main testing room (I guess the risk of spills with computers?). I got a doctor’s note for water for this time only and was in a single-person room right behind the proctor. Honestly it was noisier and more distracting than the main room, but I had my water.

1 Like

It looks like Pearson Vue also disallows food and water in the testing room, although perhaps you can access that during a break.

https://home.pearsonvue.com/candidate-rules-agreement

1 Like

yeah, i get the reason for it as someone who is sort of ADD. any distractions suck. even being in a room with all these people can be distracting to begin with. thus, i’m cool with smuggling a cliff bar to the bathroom.

i was glad when they decided to allow ear plugs at least. that became super necessary towards the end of my exam taking.

1 Like