SOA -- College Credit for Exams

St. Johns has got a great insurance library.

https://stump.marypat.org/article/1116/mortality-with-meep-french-annuities-and-the-revolution-antiselection

And they have some amazing historical documents there, including books of names in Irish annuities. (It wasn’t only France that did this dumbass thing, but what was “lucky” for the Irish annuities is that a lot of people killed in the French Revolution have their names on the lists…)

Old people are funny. They don’t know the difference between f and s.

1 Like

Troll has been booted, posts and replies have been hidden.
Please continue to report posts that need moderator attention.
Thanks all.

4 Likes

dogs

Where have you been for the past decade, Ms twig?

2 Likes

Well, the SOA leadership isn’t on board with that, obviously (at least not enough of them to matter).

But reasonable actuaries.

short s and long s, dude

2 Likes

Sooooooo, if we want to talk about the war between the societies…

A lot of things have changed since 2015, when I put that together.

Since that, there was a proposed SOA-CAS merger (which got nowhere), and there are some serious brou-ha-has between the AAA and other orgs.

But rather get into all those details, let’s summarize:

• the SOA wants to take over the world
  • the CAS has some operational issues, at the very least
  • the AAA seems to be winnowing to a smaller and smaller group of decision-makers

Of those three, only the SOA is really looking to shove other actuarial orgs outside those three (oh, and I have no idea what’s going on in the CIA) – in particular, the SOA wants to supplant the IFoA in particular markets.

The UEC program may be a way to supplant the IFoA, given it already has a program like that.

As an SOA member, I’m not really into taking over the world (well, for this purpose, at least), but I can see it from that point of view.

Cool, thanks. I’ve seen it many times, never bothered to look it up.

Oh now you have done it.
“Pinky and the Brain” is now playing in an endless loop in my head…

1 Like

One thing that seems silly to me, assuming it’s true, is the notion that the SoA would intend for, for example, Chinese actuaries to become members of the SoA as opposed to a Chinese equivalent. I can certainly see the CAS and SoA helping Chinese societies in terms of setting up their handy dandy rulebook, ratemaking guidelines, B-S methodology, etc, but actually trying to “colonize” seems kinda silly.

Recording of the May 24 townhall

Some people are registering their thoughts on the concept…

1 Like

I think this is absolutely their intent. The SOA has been measuring success for a long time by the number of international actuaries.

1 Like

Yeah not sure how an advocate of that strategy could describe it much differently than imperialism.

I can. We’re not bringing in warships to force them to join.

The term you’re looking for is “internationalism”. Let’s not be overwrought about this.

1 Like

Watching the video. Does it make sense that credit for exams would cause people to choose actuarial science over data science? I don’t really see this.

1 Like

Ten years ago the argument was we are losing people to Wall Street and actuarial exams deterred people from working for Met Life rather than Goldman Sacs.

1 Like

Before that, I’m sure it was about losing people to internet/tech firms.

Anyway, it’s not clear to me that the supply of potential actuaries is short… but I could see the market for actuarial science majors drying up, which is an entirely different thing.

3 Likes

Every time I hear about the SOA college credit this is what I think of:

Arnold Rimmer BSc (Bronze Swimming Certificate)

HEY!

He also had a Silver Swimming Certificate.

I somewhat disagree. The United States does not have professors who are influential in the profession. If you look at the typical actuarial department at a CAE school it will have some asian (primarily Chinese) professors who have the off the charts mathematical skills to do research and attain tenure and a retired Fellow or two that teaches compound interest and are in a non tenure track positions. The research oriented professors are interested in doing research and are not really interested in SOA politics.

In Canada you used to have the the big three at Waterloo, Harry Panjer, Rob Brown and Mary Hardy. who were the big proponents and who were highly influential in the CIA. .

I believe that the real motivation underlying this is the belief by some that the profession is somehow diminished because the US does not lead the world in highly mathematical actuarial research. .