Skiing Thread

When did you start skiing? Guessing at an older age than your son. Kudos to you for nurturing successfully over your nature!

Exactly my thought. People that learn to ski as kids are so much more natural skiers, while those of us that learned later usually aren’t.

I started at 15. So while I did ski for about 20 years, I was not graceful doing it. My sister started at the same age, and is (yes, still is) extremely graceful down any slope. She also skis every day possible, for the last 30 years or so.

I started in my late 30’s, and no one would ever describe my skiing style as graceful

I went first time when I was maybe 10, and we went 1-2 days per year when growing up.
My son started at 4, probably averaging 20 days a year the last 4-5 years (he is almost 13 now).
We were similar abilities two years ago, but since he joined the team, how fast he has improved is amazing.

Would never go as far as graceful, but I look ok when in my comfort zone. Once we start getting into hard stuff, I go into defensive mode, and all form goes out the window.

That is my form as well.

Yeah, pretty common, I think most of us are in that boat.
My brain knows I should stay forward in my skis and hips downhill, but my body just won’t listen.

I was tempted to try to get another ski trip in this season. Conditions in UT are still incredible.

California snow is amazing too this season, and we are getting more the next few weeks, think you still have time this season.

Tonight and tomorrow!

I know locations in CA are getting incredible snow. I follow UT more closely, and Alta just set their record snowfall since 1980 with 749 inches. Since their first snowfall on 10/22, they have averaged 4.9" per day. Nuts!

Skiied today at Kirkwood and going back tomorrow. The snow is great, hard to believe it is spring. They have had to make some modifications because the snow is so high in places that the the chairs would hit the snow if not addressed.

Lovely place! A bit of a drive from the lake area, but worth it (if the road is clear).

I had 4 inches of snow in my yard when i woke up this morning, roads, driveways, sidewalks and grass. Now at 5pm there is no snow on the roads, driveways or sidewalks but there is still some on the grass.

I saw another article saying 2 or 3 other ski resorts also set records.

The state as a whole broke the record snow water amount for the year at 26.1" (broke the previous record of 26.0" in 1983) and that was before this last storm. It is supposed to snow again this evening and another storm is headed in for the end of next week. It will be interesting to see when the resorts close this year.

Last year they got a real late storm and a couple opened back up but the problem is that when they close most of their workers either leave or get other jobs so even though there was snow, they couldn’t open because they didn’t have workers.

They have only been keeping records of these things since 1980. But you can lookup news video of what happened in 1983. I was in Taiwan at the time and it made the news there. But in 1983, it stayed quite cold through most of the spring and then jumped up to 80 or something on Memorial Day weekend and it melted extremely quickly.

This is a graph of what the snow pack history looks like.
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/WCIS/AWS_PLOTS/basinCharts/POR/WTEQ/assocHUCut3/state_of_utah.html

Alta reached the legendary mark of over 20 feet of settled snow on the ground this week. Incredible, and still getting pounded.

Having been to SLC and the Cottonwood Canyons area many times, I was aware that Little Cottonwood Canyon had high avalanche risk. Today I learned that the road up LCC “the highest uncontrolled avalanche hazard index of any major road in the world.”

https://twitter.com/ProfessorPowder/status/1643272330540642304?t=Jrjeq1Cx2NGETdp0BsyPeg&s=19

It has been snowing quite a bit since Sunday night and supposed to last into Wednesday. Crazy how much it is getting.

I think they said one of the canyons was closed all day yesterday. Not sure about today.

Pictures of the road in question today:
https://twitter.com/brian_schnee/status/1643680908652814344?t=_Dn0NzwwCFGFGUVfSjF1jA&s=19

When avalanche risk is high, an “interlodge” gets declared where you aren’t allowed to leave buildings. When it’s extreme, a maximum interlodge is declared. That means moving to more secure south facing buildings. That happened at least twice this week at Snowbird where people were directed to basements on south facing sides

How are those avalanches that extreme? Try 5 feet of snow since Saturday on top of a record snowpack

https://twitter.com/NWSSaltLakeCity/status/1643588781520617472?t=sW7ilZioB--B7yE7W_yMOg&s=19

Avalanche at Snowbird jumped the road and went onto the bunny slopes. Looks like not much of it entered in-bounds territory so hopefully no one got hit, but ski patrol is looking for skiers.

Also hope no cars got hit. The road is buried pretty deep

1 Like