Skiing Thread

I have skied some expert terrain before, but it’s above my comfort level. I definitely wouldn’t do it as a solo skier, which I probably will be on this trip (unless I convince my pilot friend to come, or one of the GoA denizens gets tempted).

Slow start, but Grand Targhee is 100% open with a 61" base. Alta has a 63" base. Those 2 spots are some of the most reliable in North America for lots of fluffy powder and are great places to ski.

We just got to Vail today, staying through Xmas. Supposed to get some snow Thursday/Friday so might get some fun powder.
Looks like all my California mtns are getting ridiculous amounts of snow so hopefully I can get up there a few times this season.

1 Like

Do you guys often/ever get prescribed altitude sickness tablets when you go skiing? I’ve often had them and am going skiing soon with my 6 year old and reached out to the pediatrician for them for her and he pushed back that they weren’t necessary and advocated slow ascent and many days to acclimate :roll_eyes: … we’re skiing 3 days so not really time to acclimate and it’ll suck if she gets sick. Obviously will heavily encourage lots of water drinking but curious how typical medication is for brief trips…

I have no experience with your question about the pills, but if your PCP is a “family physician” then you could see if you can get them for her from your PCP. You may have to do one physical with your PCP so your daughter is a bona fide patient. Then go back to your regular pediatrician.

I recall talking to a friend about employing this strategy for something that the pediatrician wouldn’t do but her PCP would. Maybe the HPV vaccine for her son before it was approved for boys? Can’t recall.

Or another option would be to see if you can find a travel clinic. My experience with travel clinics is getting vaccines and cipro for my Africa trips, but it would probably be worth a phone call at least to see if they have the stuff for altitude sickness.

They could probably use the business!

Makes sense. I’m torn. I don’t want to strong arm the doctor if he thinks the risks aren’t worth it, but that isn’t clear to me. So I’m not sure if he thinks the benefits are 0 because he’s naive and thinks we’re going to spend 3 days acclimating or if there are real risks and it’s good advice to not take them if at all possible… hopefully he gives more info following our reply.

1 Like

Is where you are going high-altitude? Or just east coast stuff?

We’ll be in Vail, CO, so ~8-11k feet

Oof. That’s Rocky Mountain High!
The issue there is when you’re not skiing, trying to recover from skiing.
Man, I wish I still skied.

Haha no time like the present! I think I’ll be fine because it’s just a matter of drinking enough water but I think that can be tough for a little kid. When I was 7 or so I had pretty bad altitude sickness I think I ended up needing to go to a medical clinic while we were there.

It’s tricky because the ways to avoid altitude sickness are all pretty antithetical to a brief ski trip, with the exception of just drinking a lot of water.

I’d go if I could. No clothes (no longer fit), no skis (too old to tune), no boots. Skiing becomes a lifestyle, not a lark.

Yeah, choices are:

1. extend your trip so you spend more time getting acclimated
  2. don’t ski while on your trip
  3. drink lots of water before and during trip
  4. talk to doc about getting altitude tablets

1 and 2 are tough, although we won’t ski the first day we get there partly for the altitude reason and will do a lot of 3. Having limited success on 4.

And you can rent skis and boots. And you don’t need particularly special clothes, just waterproof things with a sweater underneath and some goggles, can rent a helmet.

All that adds to the expense, without any increase in benefits.
Like a $300 day of blasting my quads.

Q: Are helmets required? I can certainly recall some bell-ringers (better than not being able to recall them) from my frequent falls.

Helmets aren’t required anywhere I’ve been, but I’d strongly advise renting one if you don’t own one

I don’t believe they’re ever required but I’d definitely wear one. Fortunately I don’t fall very often but I’ve been skied into before and you definitely want a helmet for that.

Yeah, I’d probably wear one, since the big hazards of skiing are those not going down the hill vertically, not necessarily one’s own skills.

Back when I first started skiing 20+ years ago no one wore helmets.

I still don’t wear a helmet, but I am considering one to keep my ears warm.

I am looking to pick up some new gear. I have having trouble picking - gloves or mittens?