Skiing Thread

I’ve always been a glove man.
Just make sure your poles will fit on your gloved/mittened hand.

I wore a nice knit hat/toque (with a pom-pom) that covered my ears.

I’ve mostly worn gloves but have since learned the superiority of mittens. Especially skiing, you get very little added dexterity from the individual fingers but when it’s cold the extra surface area sucks. On a cold day I find I’m wishing for mittens.

1 Like

:confused: i’m pretty sure i was at the 2012 ao ski trip. i don’t recall you being at that one. there was another one in 2013 that i didn’t attend.

yeah, 2013 makes sense. the 2012 one had more chicks.

When I started skiing most people didn’t wear helmets. I didn’t for some time, but I always do now.

My hands tend to get cold so I wear mittens skiing unless it’s a rare warm day.

1 Like

The worst “altitude sickness” I’ve had skiing is a mild headache, typically remedied by a little advil. I always drink way more water than normal.

We just got back from Vail. I can confirm that is some thin air up there. Luckily didn’t have to do much hiking around, just sliding down on my board

Mittens are warmer for sure.
I started wearing a helmet about 20 years ago when I launched off a cornice, didn’t quite stick the landing, and came inches away from splitting my head open on a barely-buried rock. Plus the helmet is pretty comfortable and keeps goggles in place, keeps your head warm etc. You can even get them with Bluetooth headphones if that’s your thing.

I did not wind up going skiing last year. :(. Couldn’t find any takers. I’m definitely going next season.

I have traveled a lot in Europe, and spent more time in Germany than any other foreign country. I have been to Neuschwanstein once and it was pretty cool.

My next trip abroad will likely be Spain this fall. I’m probably going to Germany next year.

I am about 99% certain the account you are responding to is a spam account. The entire purpose is to come here and post random links. They are getting better though, the post is moderately related, has reasonable content and isn’t doing it too frequently (the only other post by this account was in April, which also included a semi-related link it it). Of course it seems like it could use some work because one of the threads on traveling to Europe would have made it less obvious.

1 Like

Thanks!

I booked my first trip of the season. I’m heading to Alta in Utah in the latter part of January. Alta and the Cottonwood Canyons are off to an epic start, with 260 inches so far this season as of noon today. The forecast for this weekend is nuts according to Alta:

Friday: 17 inches expected
Saturday: 38 inches expected!!
Sunday: 18 inches expected

Very high winds are also expected. There is some significant uncertainty in storm totals when looking at amounts like this, but it’s almost certainly going to be another monster.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. We have a ski gift cert from precovid we should use this year. I’ll stick to the bunny hill thank you very much while my spouse spins circles around me looking hawt.

What’s Alta like? I’m also heading out to Utah this season (Park City and Deer Valley have been my go-to’s), but have heard I’m missing out by never hitting Alta

Alta is awesome. Quaint little mountain with a ton of powder.
At least it was 20 years ago.

1 Like

All of the 4 cottonwood canyons resorts have some of the best and most reliable snow conditions in the country. Almost always light fluffy powder. Do it.

The only spot in the US that I think challenges it in terms of quantity, quality, and reliability is Grand Targhee, which is much smaller and more of a trek to get to. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, we have been getting crushed with storm after storm this winter. Many of the resorts had either their earliest or one of their earliest openings. Most were open before Thanksgiving and they have been getting really good storms. Though lots of avalanche warnings. Sticking to the main groomed slopes of the resorts pretty much protects you from that though.

So I’m headed to So. Cal. for the last week of Jan. :slight_smile:

Just got back from Seattle and got a couple days at Stevens Pass. First was last week and it was amazing hip-deep super light powder because it was bitterly cold. Not windy though - awesome day.

Then it was an ice storm and the pass was closed for several days. Snuck in a day up there yesterday and it was still pretty powdery, but heavier because it warmed up a bit.

Looking forward to Mammoth in a few weeks and possibly Vail in February. Getting some use out of my new board.

Only been boarding in Utah once but the snow was amazing as advertised. Enjoy!

Looks like the storm was a bit less than forecast in Utah, but still incredible. Over the past week Alta got 66 inches of snow and Brighton got 63.

I don’t know what the snow was like at the resorts but the snow here in the valleys was very wet dense snow, not the light powdery stuff that makes for great skiing. Hope it is better up highers.

Saw a picture posted about 9am of the line of cars waiting to get up the canyon which UDOT was projecting to open at 10am. It looked pretty packed.