Should I?

So as not to derail another conversation…I am moved by this and it’s the kind of thing I could see myself doing. Should I shave my head for kids with cancer?

And @vjvj is this your page? I will donate regardless, but good to know when I’m giving in support of someone I know (ish).

You do you.

I get why people do this as a way to raise awareness or solidarity and I’d never tell someone not to.

I am just one data point and certainly speak for only myself: I don’t care for it. I’d rather you didn’t. When I lost my hair to cancer, both times, friends and family wanted to do this and my response was: Don’t you dare! To my mom, I explained: You want to make me feel better about losing my hair? Go to the hairdresser and make yours fabulous!! That would make me feel better than seeing you bald too.

But again, to each their own - others in similar situations of course might feel differently. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

No, but if you have long hair, you can consider donating several inches (or a foot) of it.

I know at least one girl (now woman, now in the Air Force) whose hair was down to her butt, and would cut a foot or more off every few years.

1 Like

Can’t donate, it’s bleached. And not long enough.

Try a bald cap, see what you’d look like. If acceptable to you, well, that’s step 1.
Next, ask your family who will have to live with you for about a year with this major change in your appearance.
Next, get an estimate of how much money you’ll generate to this cause.

Make a spreadsheet and determine the optimal outcome, cuz actuary.

I don’t care about how I’d look. Or, rather, that isn’t a factor in the decision. I assume I would not look attractive this way. That’s fine.

Husband doesn’t care, already checked.

Anything > $0 is worthwhile.

Obviously I’ve already made a spreadsheet.

1 Like

I think it’s a wonderful idea, but for fund-raising. I agree with Serena that solidarity alone isn’t worthwhile unless you know someone who feels that that type of support would help them. So worthwhile-ness imo depends mainly on how good of a fundraiser you are. I’m not a good fundraiser, but I’m part of a group that does a better job and we also volunteer at the fundraising event as the entertainment, so I’ve been a part of raising a lot of money.

And yep, that’s my page. Thanks so much!

1 Like

I appreciate this perspective. I’m not looking to be offensive or insensitive or performative. And if that’s at all how it could be perceived, that’s not great.

1 Like

Excellent!
Sounds like you already know what to do, then. Why are you asking us?

That’s how it feels to me.

I know it isn’t intended to come across that way. And again, I’m just one opinion.

1 Like

I’ve often wondered if some people couldn’t raise more to NOT shave their head, but I’ve never heard of anyone trying that.

My company held some contest a while back, I don’t remember the specifics, but you could donate to either side - but the “shaved head” side inevitably won out.

My company always (pre COVID) had a big St Baldericks event.

The women who did this, always moved me. And I will admit I always gave more.

If this is meaningful to you, do it. It will be rewarding

2 Likes

you should do what you are motivated to do, if it makes you feel good. (obv without upsetting others - and there are such others, like serena who has explained why she’d rather you did not.)

what’s your fundraising goal? can you make that happen with a facebook birthday link and no shaving of the head?

I am male and shave my head every few years for free and for no larger purpose. in act for smallest purpose. (reason is always escaping some other horrible hair style i grew in for performative and self serving reasons.) in the modern day, no one cares or judges the guy who is shaved. women are often judged differently and so you may (or may not) feel some of that and be aware of it ahead of time.

So, if you do and are excited for it, then raise money for pediatric cancer research and please make sure we see the link.

2 Likes

Until very recently (today?) I guess I didn’t associate a charity head-shave with cancer. The first time I was exposed to the idea, the head shaving was for a non-cancer charity. As I’ve done some research though, the most popular cause this is done for is cancer…which makes sense, but does change my view on it slightly.

So without that experience, I’ve seen it as, “this is a big thing I’m doing to show I’m committed to this thing, help me out with that!” Right or wrong, people are more likely to donate money when there’s something on the line. Which is why birthday fundraisers are rarely successful (or maybe they are and just not among the people I know?) but people will spend $20 to watch their boss get a pie to the face.

If I decide to do it, it wouldn’t be for a while anyway. So I’ll definitely think about it, talk to people I know who are affected by the issue more directly than I am. Childhood cancer is very personal to me, and I’ve been affected by it, but my own kids haven’t and so I’m not going to insert myself into a cause in a way that isn’t helpful.

Don’t do it!

I don’t feel shaving your head does a whole lot but you do you. It really only goes so far as you telling people about it (and any money raised).

I’m more motivated by people who’re like, “For my birthday I would love for people to donate”, personally. I’ll usually throw at least $10 even if I barely know them.

do it if you really want to shave your head anyway. otherwise, don’t.

:+1:

1 Like