Should i ask for my boss role?

Knock them out before you need to do the PA exam too, I think you now have just a year to get the FSA before then.

1 Like

I think the issue was that it was related to pricing and the SOA decided that too much was revealed about the employer’s pricing methodologies.

But they had approved the topic in the first place, given a MMR, and then rescinded it all on the basis of the topic chosen.

Year and a half I think?

Candidates who earn an ASA on the current CERA pathway by July 1, 2018 may earn an FSA provided all remaining FSA-level components are passed along with having passed or received transition credit for the Statistics for Risk Modeling and Long-Term Actuarial Mathematics Exams by January 1, 2023 (The SOA Board of Directors extended this deadline from the original July 1, 2022 date at their December 2020 meeting).

I heard the deadline was extended due to Covid, so if there’s a discrepancy that could be the reason and the later deadline is probably the accurate one.

It’s entirely possible I’m just quoting the wrong thing but 1.5 years feels more doable than 1 year in any event. I suppose it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to do PA given my current position but also I could just stop being lazy.

You can easily knock the submission part out in maybe two days each or so, the reading part will vary how long it takes based on how fast you click and how much of the outside supplemental reading you actually read. Budget a month of time each I think works if you are on top of it. A number of me coworkers failed the module submissions though and had to redo it. Not sure why since my modules always passed first attempt.

:+1: i wasn’t aware of the extension, I would suggest knocking out the first soon so you have an idea of how much effort they’ll generally take

You have until January 1, 2023.

Source:Timing for candidates seeking to attain an ASA or CERA prior to July 1, 2018 transition | SOA

1 Like

This is good advice. I think one of the big keys to making a big swing is being prepared to strike out. Not getting a job is a great opportunity for learning. I interviewed for a lead role in March of 2020. One of the panelists called me afterward and asked if my current boss (also the hiring manager for the role I was applying for) had given me feedback. I said no so she gave me feedback. Basically she said as an internal candidate I should be far more prepared for the interview because I have access to the leaders before the interview. I needed to have identified opportunities and a plan for where I would take the team.

2 months later I interviewed for her team and got a lead role. This May I stretched and asked to lead 2 teams and had another plan. I was given an Associate Director role with 4 direct reports and 2 other indirect reports. What we learn from failure can be a big boon to our career. Also learning from failure is a key characteristic of a leader.

5 Likes

actuaries!! just an update here, I asked for the role and have finally gotten it !! spreading positive vibe here.

12 Likes

Congrats! What’s the raise?

close to 15%. I am based in Asia btw