Should i ask for my boss role?

Had a short chat with big boss after team meeting yesterday evening. Doesn’t seem too surprised and encourage me to go for it. I guess he is used to it.

1 Like

In my previous career we used to have employee surveys until the senior management were rated poorly on them. Then there were no more employee surveys.

1 Like

The beatings shall continue until morale improves! :judge:

1 Like

Someone else mentioned this approach about staff satisfaction surveys where they worked. DTNF?

I’m not sure what you mean by “this approach”.

I mentioned “the beatings will continue until morale improves” in a different thread several months ago… I believe in reference to some kind of beratement over poor employee satisfaction surveys.

But I don’t recall who I was replying to.

Here we go. It was back in January. My comment was in response to a comment on this underlying post by Snake:

Once upon a time, my boss’s group (as well as the whole company) was asked to fill out a survey. Groups that responded lower in satisfaction with their bosses, jobs, executive management, the weather, etc., than some standard were put into a room to explain their responses, until something was done to improve the situation (or to change the opinion of the responders).
And, my group was one of these. So two hours of explaining our answers as anonymously as possible ("well, someone might think this about that…).
Funny thing was that someone in some other unit accidentally chose my boss as their supervisor (before it was automated). This person was dissatisfied, and lowered the averages my boss’s group.
After that my boss told us “if you don’t want to be that uncomfortable again, just pick the highest ratings possible, and come to me with anything you think I could do better.” And, yes, he was a good boss. Would take us out for drinks and everything.
The End.

at my old company, on my old teams, the analysts would group without the managers and one of the analysts would submit the comments anonymously.

I was the quiet one. There were some very brutally honest people, ripping their managers to shreds.
One of the managers got destroyed by all his reports.

The manager is still there, I think even promoted. Go figure.
Fun times.

In my experience, favoritism is rampant at big companies. And I made sure to call it out every time I filled out employee surveys.

Does all FSA-level exams done but dragging my ass on ever starting the modules count as near-FSA?

Like at this point the only reason I’m going to do it is to spite that other FSA b---- at the company. And also because sometimes the F matters to “customers”.

Yeah, I’d count that.

1 Like

how hard are these FSA modules? we ain’t got those on the CAS side

Reminder to post on the results!

From what I know of them, they aren’t hard. DMAC has a presentation or something as well.

I think there’s an additional test to get FCIA, but not a major one.

Oh man, this one is going to be extra easy having already done the QFI exams :rofl:

Yeah, I think the current recommendation is to do the FSA modules before the FSA exams. So if you’ve already got the exams I think that with some discipline you could probably knock out the modules without too much trouble.

This is oId info, but I was told that for the DMAC presentation that you give at the FAC, the only way you can fail it is by talking for less than 8 or more than 10 minutes.

And they have lights showing when you hit the 8 minute mark, and when you’re close to the 10 minute mark. And you can literally stop talking mid-sentence and be fine.

That said, I do know someone who got MMR on the DMAC and then was told (s)he chose a forbidden topic, and had to redo DMAC because the topic wasn’t permitted. Very very uncool. The topic, I believe, had to be approved before work started. And it was approved but then rescinded. :grimacing:

1 Like

Actuarial topic wasn’t permitted?
:popcorn:

1 Like

Knock them out before you need to do the PA exam too, I think you now have just a year to get the FSA before then.

1 Like

I think the issue was that it was related to pricing and the SOA decided that too much was revealed about the employer’s pricing methodologies.

But they had approved the topic in the first place, given a MMR, and then rescinded it all on the basis of the topic chosen.

Year and a half I think?

Candidates who earn an ASA on the current CERA pathway by July 1, 2018 may earn an FSA provided all remaining FSA-level components are passed along with having passed or received transition credit for the Statistics for Risk Modeling and Long-Term Actuarial Mathematics Exams by January 1, 2023 (The SOA Board of Directors extended this deadline from the original July 1, 2022 date at their December 2020 meeting).