Self-Driving vehicles

Some years ago, I had a group of co-workers who jointly purchased an old pickup. Every now and then you want one, but not enough to own one by yourself.

One of the members was a lawyer. He was the legal owner, the others just borrowed it occasionally.
His wife wasn’t so happy because she didn’t like the rusty old thing sitting in front of their house.

1 Like

The Tesla Model X and Model 3 light up the brake lights when regenerative braking occurs. So it is entirely possible to drive one pedal and still be safe. I don’t know about other electric vehicle manufacturers or other Tesla models. I’m surprised that there are any that don’t trigger the brake lights when decelerating.

1 Like

That’s the arrangement I have with my neighbours and family, except I pay for everything.

I sometimes need a neighbor like you…

1 Like

Just buy State Farm Insurance. Very similar.

Yeah, I have a $10k used EV, not a fancy pretty one. Purchase price on a Tesla M3 is 4+ semesters of college and I have 4 college age kids. The youngest wants to be a doctor, so maybe I’ll get a fancy pretty car from them someday. :rofl:

I had that van for a while. I’ve since given it to my son.

I’m not judging your Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt (I totally am :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ). It would make me nervous knowing that I could get rear ended because my brake lights didn’t come when I slowed down.

Do you have a level 2 charger installed at your residence? Do you often have cause to use level 3 charging and is the infrastructure for it good in the areas you travel too?

I don’t have a level 2 charger. I drive my car to work and back (or used to) and for errands, and plug in at night for it be back to full on the trickle charger. We have 4 vehicles, so if I’m driving more than an hour from home, I borrow the Prius (was mine originally) instead of figuring out where chargers exist at my destination. There’s charging options all around (I do notice them, and I looked up what was in my area when I bought the car), I just don’t use them.

How quickly are you slowing down in this situation? I take my foot off the gas without hitting my brakes to slow down all the time (in my non-EV). No need to hit your brakes if you don’t need to decrease speeds significantly or quickly.

1 Like

With the EVs I’ve driven, the deceleration is pretty rapid. Very similar to applying the brakes as you are approaching a stop sign, sometimes harder depending on the vehicle and your speed. The regenerative breaking really does a great job at slowing the vehicle down substantially. You can quite literally drive by using only the accelerator pedal in normal circumstances. My vehicle knows how rapidly I’m decelerating and will trigger the brake as appropriate.

I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced driving behind someone who a) had their brake lights non-functioning or b) drove with one foot on the brake so their brake lights were on constantly. It is not a good situation and even leaving extra room, you may still have to hit your brakes much harder then you expect because the car in front of you decelerates rapidly without warning. I can easily see being hit by someone tailgating or not paying attention if my regenerative braking triggered with no braking lights.

I just now saw this post that I never responded to.

I go to Costco a lot anyway so it isn’t that big of a deal unless the return line is long. And judging by the unbelievable hassle of returning something else I recently bought online, I’m not sure that online returns are superior to in person returns in a store you’re going to anyway.

1 Like

Yeah, I almost never return stuff I bought on-line. I’ve sent back the occasional blouse that doesn’t fit, using the provided mailing label. But the cost of returning stuff my mail is pretty steep.

It depends a lot on the company. I busted my phone the other day and Google sent me a replacement and a pre-stamped return box.

Amazon will go a step further than that by scheduling a ups guy to come to your door to pick up your thing.

I expect if they find a way to really make self-shipping work, it will motivate easy online returns.

But yes there’s also the simple fact that you, twig, like going to the store and you like owning a car and you don’t mind parallel parking and tickets and traffic and things like that. Which makes this less of a technology for you.

I’ve been very happy with Pirateship, a service that lets you print postage conveniently from any printer.

Thinking about it, I rarely return stuff I bought online, but I don’t think I’ve EVER returned stuff in person. That seems like an enormous hassle to me.

I don’t mind driving. I enjoy it if there’s no traffic. What I do mind is having that background fear that some fool on a cell phone will run a red light and t-bone me. And that’s why I advocate autonomous vehicles

I use my eyes and watch for drivers like that.
Kinda Driver’s Ed 101, which all drivers should know.

i do too, but a few weeks ago some dude came out of nowhere but stopped himself (he ran a red). If he hadn’t stopped, shudder. You can’t see everything

:iatp:

While it’s true that good drivers have fewer not-at-fault accidents than bad drivers, they still have some.

While I would have thought that was needless to worry about, a couple of years ago I experienced that exact scenario. It was the absolute pinnacle of successfully bad driving. Guy went through a red light and hit me, totalled my car and another. He was talking on his cellphone, no license, no insurance, it wasn’t his car that he was driving, and he didn’t speak English (NTTAWWT) so he couldn’t communicate with anyone when it happened. He got arrested at the scene but I went to court to see that the judge dropped all the criminal charges. He also didn’t have any money so my insurance paid for my car (after deductible) . At least I walked away with only bruises.