Resolutions

It’s almost time for a new year. Do you have any resolutions for 2021?

I don’t do resolutions, but I like to do dry January. And since I have given up drinking entirely, I think I’m going to make this January an added-sugar-free one.

Not so much resolutions as goals — I’ve lost about 50 lbs since March, and I want to lose another 50 more by year end 2021. I’ve gotten into running, so I want to keep that up and see if I can better my current 33-34 minute 5k. I also want to reconnect with friends and family that I had sort of taken for granted (it’s not all my fault we lost touch) – the pandemic has shown me that you never can take for granted when you’ll get to see people again – I’ve lost 2-3 friends to illness/COVID that I hadn’t seen in 3+ years.

Finally, it’s going to be a pretty tough year as far as my transition goes, with never ending paperwork for name changes, dealing with my parents, working on changing my voice, finishing off facial hair removal, plus all the mental stress of potentially rejoining a normal society. So my goals with that are both to face the challenges head on and to remain open and public about it to hopefully support others.

1 Like

Mine are moreso goals as well.

• Lose weight, hopefully get to 140-150 lbs by end of 2021
  • Pass first FSA exam (hopefully first try - I want that sweet bonus)
  • Eat healthier
  • Make a habit of going to bed early to wake up early
  • Visit local/state/national parks more often to do nature walks and birding

I know a person who flew to Chicago to go to a place that would remove all their testosterone-induced body hair in one day. (Or maybe it was a couple days all together, I’m not sure.)

They looked like they had a sunburn from hell, with inflammation everywhere, when they returned. It worked, though.

The amount of pain that involves is well beyond my threshold. :wink: I did 11 sessions of laser to get rid of enough hairs that I should only have to endure 10% of the normal electrolysis time.

Right before midnight last night, my arms broke out in some scary painful hives. This has never happened to me before. I thought I suddenly had a flesh eating virus and was gonna die. Then it calmed down. Anyway, I resolve to buy benadryl or something today for mystery allergic reactions to stuff that might happen to me in the future. Still no clue what caused that.

I get hives periodically for no apparent reason. I can often get them back under control via a combo of zyrtec, benadryl, and famotidine. Sometimes even that doesn’t work and I need to go to the doctor. Wish I knew how to prevent them.

famotidine??? why that? that’s the one drug i actually DO have in my apartment. i use it for reflux. i stopped taking it recently though.it helps for hives for no apparent reason?

i’m also surprised that zyrtec would help. according to the internets - " Zyrtec (cetirizine) is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose."

i have old expired claritin in my apartment. seems similar to zyrtec, but i didn’t think it would help this, thus didn’t take it.

it did calm down on it’s own after a brief time and icing it, so it didn’t seem like i necessarily needed any of these things. it was just bizarre. welts were just appearing on my arms for no damn reason!

famotidine is a histamine 2 blocker. It’s primarily used to control stomach acid, but it has other antihistamine effects.

Antihistamines help against hives. I had doctors suggest this combo after some severe outbreaks.

Hives is usually an over-reaction of the immune system. Antihistamines down-regulate the immune system. I didn’t realize that famotidine had such generic effects, but yeah, it’s a kind of antihistamine.

My New Year’s Resolution is 1600 x 900 (Recommended). I should really get a bigger monitor.

2 Likes

Since most if not all of my resolutions fail, my New Year’s resolutions for 2022 include gaining weight and being more miserable.

5 Likes

My new years resolution is to quarantine and hope i don’t infect my family.

2 Likes

I’ve decided to stop trying to be the best version of myself and settle for second-best.

3 Likes

Considering a modified dry January.

Bounds: days drinking < @Breadmaker starbucks trips / 10 < chicken days. Drinks < 2.5 / day. :dog:

U still dezurv chikkinz daze!!! Whooz a gud gurl??? R U a gud gurl??? Of korse U R!!!

I would like to learn shorthand, will make an effort in 2024.

2 Likes

My diet is back on track, and I hope to keep it in check throughout the craziness of year end financial reporting. So far, I’m oh-fer-twenty-seven*. This could be the year!

*former boss and grand boss both had birthdays in January. They’d both bring in donuts on separate days. I have difficulty saying “no” to a donut.

My 2023 list looked something like this:

1. Get down to 175 lbs.
  2. Get the house cleaned up.
  3. Get [name] into the sports HOF at the local high school.
  4. Get the unidentified person at the cemetery at home identified.
  5. Get [name] recognized in [other forum] in the “deceased members” section.
  6. Save [amount of money].
  7. Get [list of debts] paid off.
  8. Successfully mentor the intern.

There were a couple others, but I don’t recall what they were. Looking back at the 2023 list:

1. :x:. Um … no. This is on for 2024.
  2. :x:. Um … no. Also on for 2024.
  3. :white_check_mark:. Allegedly. We’ll find out in a few months. Certain people were not happy I raised the stink I did. IDGAF, [person] should have been in 20+ years ago and everyone involved admits it and can’t explain why it didn’t happen sooner. If it doesn’t happen, I’ll be going semi-nuclear about it.
  4. :x:. A little progress has been made, this got sidetracked because of other stuff. Going to come back to this in 2024.
  5. :white_check_mark:. After a small stink, and some reliving that moment.
  6. Well, technically it did happen but I don’t count the inheritance from Dad’s estate in this. Setting that aside, … um, :x:. Life happened. Deciding how I want to approach this for 2024.
  7. :white_check_mark:. And then, Charlie the Pathfinder decided to go semi-feral. And, Mrs. Hoffman decided we needed to redo the bathrooms. I don’t think I have something on for 2024 per se, so this might show up again in 2025.
  8. :white_check_mark:. Possibly having an intern this summer as well, so this may go on the list for 2024 again.

50% for the year? Not bad, I’ll take that. Could have been worse.

2 Likes