Remote working while traveling

That is the minimum for NY, no tax if <14 days. It varies state by state, some states are from day 1, others have grace periods. Many states don’t follow up or look into it. NY definitely is aggressive in seeking out those that aren’t paying the tax.

That could be… I could easily be remembering wrong.

14 days makes a lot of sense. NY is a major convention center, and doesn’t want to drive away business by harassing people who are in town for a brief period. But they also have a lot of commuters from NJ and CT, and they DO want to collect taxes from those people.

I think 14 days was around the trigger when I would travel to WI for work from MN.

Yeah, 14 days is logical. But I’m sure they want tax all the visiting sports teams, even for under 14 days. It’s possible there’s special rules, or a dollar amount that is exempt from tax in the first 14 days that’s high enough that us normal folks don’t hit it but pro-athletes would.

I recall reading about the average number of state tax returns filed by NBA players. It was something like 16. And of course they have to file Canadian returns too if they play the Raptors.

My prior employer used to make me fill out an attestation every year about how many days I worked in NY. I don’t remember the cutoff, but it was somewhere in the 10-14 days worked in NY annually that required them to report NY income. I used to work in NY more days than that, but it was before they started more detailed reporting.

I had a work project that had me abroad for the better part of 6 months in 4 countries (mostly in one). I never had to get any visas that I recall, I always said I was on business when traveling, and I didn’t have any tax consequences. This was for a company that was a stickler about filing state income taxes if you worked more than a few days in a state.

yeah, 10 -14 days kinda of makes sense. one day for an SOA meeting doesn’t.

Here’s NY rules on who doesn’t qualify for the 14 day list-

Exceptions to the 14-day rule
The 14-day rule does not apply to the following types of compensation:
• Compensation paid to nonresident traveling salespersons or other employees when the
compensation depends entirely on the volume of business transacted by them.
• Compensation paid in one year that is related to services performed in a prior year. For
example, deferred compensation and compensation from nonstatutory stock options.
• Compensation paid to nonresident public speakers performing services in
New York State. This includes, but is not limited to, services in the form of a speech,
presentation, or personal appearance.
• Compensation paid to nonresident athletes performing services in New York State. This
includes, but is not limited to, wrestlers, boxers, golfers, hockey players, basketball
players, football players, tennis players, baseball players, and other athletes, as well as
referees, coaches, and trainers.
• Compensation paid to nonresident entertainers performing services in New York State.
This includes, but is not limited to, actors, singers, musicians, dancers, circus
performers, writers, directors, producers, set designers, any other person appearing on
television, radio, the stage, in a night club performance or hotel show, and
compensation to any person whose performance in New York State is recorded or
filmed.

TSB-M-12(5)I:(7/12):Withholding on Wages Paid to Certain Nonresidents Who Work 14 Days or Fewer in New York State:tsbm125i (ny.gov)

1 Like

You can’t work in North Korea since we have sanctions and stuff. Therefore via proof by counterexample the answer is no.

Maybe not Russia either.

I scanned the thread, but didn’t see anything on another issue. Watch out for data/privacy laws when working outside the US.

and if you work with US clients, they might have requirements that their data is never housed outside the US.

My company won’t let me log into my work computer when I travel outside the US. For good reason (HIPAA data).

1 Like