Recruiter Discussion

I dunno… how are you defining “moderators”?

Just got this text message…seems legit…

Welcome! We’ve noticed that your background and resume have been recommended by several online recruitment agencies, so we’d like to offer you a part-time job that you can do in your free time. Our job is simple: we simply rate your favorite hotels. There are no time constraints and you can complete the assessment from home. Daily pay ranges from $300 to $800, and all wages are paid on the same day. If you would like to take part, please contact us via WhatsApp: [withheld so you sobs don’t steal my next job opportunity]
(Note: You must be at least 20 years old)

This could be amusing. I need to find a burner phone texting number though. Hopefully they’ll make an exception that I’m only 19 years old.

2 Likes

Is that day 50 years in the future?

had a recruiter contact me. said my background was great for a position they had. i agreed to a screen with them to learn more. not excited to move, but not wanting to avoid roles for which I am “perfect” if the role checks all the other boxes.

end result of that call was to ask me to speak w their boss (recruiting firm leader). look - the role for which I match either exists or it does not. tell me specifics now or i aint got time for it. not looking to speak w the entire recruiting firm bc that doesn’t get me a job. that gets me to know a recruiter and I am not actively looking.

cross post to annoyed thoughts (but too lazy to do that too)

6 Likes

I think that’s the first lie they learn to tell in recruiter school.

3 Likes

Selby Jennings emailed me about a role. It actually is in the field I currently am in, and want to stay in. But it’s Selby Jennings, and I don’t really want to move companies, so into the trash it went.

2 Likes

the screener sent my reply to the big boss who sent me an email assuring me it is worth my time to talk with them and then some name-dropping to credentialize themself. whatevs. the job role they shared (not which company, just the job role) matches what i do now within reason. i said I already have the role and like it. i guess I just reply (if I reply) with answer the 3 things that matter (all relating to money).

1 Like

What are those three things, if I may ask?

I think for me to change companies, I would need at a minimum:

1. An established company culture committed to remote work (I don’t love WFH but I would not want to change companies only to be told six months later that I have to relocate or be fired)

2. Not more than quarterly requirement for travel to HQ, and not over weekends (e.g. fly in Monday, leave Thursday night or Friday would be ok)

3. At least a total pay increase of 30%, and at least a base pay increase of 25%. This one is probably most achievable of the three, given where my comp level currently is and my experience and performance history

3 Likes

projected salary (and guaranteed for how long while ramping up)
projected bonus (and guaranteed for how long while ramping up)
is there some equity component (and if yes, please explain)

this is a sales/production role. the idea that you jump in and sales occur right away in the new place is unlikely IMO. that’s whay the ramp up is referenced

more matters than just that of course. but it’s DOA if the money isn’t right. like I said, i have a job and like it already.

3 Likes

Wasn’t there a thread on the AO were the discussion centered around what % increase in salary was pretty much an automatic “yes” to move?

I think 25% was basically the consensus barring the new place being spectacularly culturally awful.

I think that with the advent of more widespread WFH, that 25% might have moved a bit lower if more WFH per week was in play when moving companies.

1 Like

I think it was 20% that was a “do not pass 'Go” but go directly to that new job!"

my contribution to a thread where someone had an offer for 20% more but had some preference for current owing to bicycling to work was “for those of us in the donkey pen, that offer is a must take and you buy yourself a new bike and more hay than ever” or something like that.

thanks to DWS for erasing that.

1 Like