Recession thread

and this is why Trump is the worst president in history. How dare he give away 4.6 trillion? did he forget he’s a REPUBLICUNT

spoketh he in the 80%

So US inflation rates cause UK to have even higher current inflation rates. Everything is about the US presidency. Same with gas prices. Those all must be about Biden. None of this has to do with the war with Russia. None of this has to do with Texas holding back Mexico from exporting products into the US to prevent “illegal immigration.” None of this has to do with restaurants being shut down 2+ years with less business and needing to increase prices to catch up and stay afloat. It’s all about a single $1400 Biden payment that will cause hyperinflation for the rest of our lives

2 Likes

to be fair. most countries were giving out freebies during the lockdown.

Me, too. Unfortunately, the formula that used to provide 24 months for people like me has been capped at 6 months.

Eh, 1984 was the second biggest electoral landslide in history (1789 being the biggest).

I think it was fifth in terms of popular vote. 1964 was the biggest popular landslide in history, which is interesting in that LBJ ended up being so reviled he didn’t even bother to run for re-election four years later. But he is the only POTUS to ever crack 61% of the popular vote. (And really people were essentially voting for JFK, but since they couldn’t, LBJ got the credit.)

Also, voting against Goldwater, who would have blown up children with atomic bombs.

2 Likes

I think by getting caught up in the details and exact numbers, you missed my point.

If roughly 40% are left-no-matter-what, and roughly 40% are right-no-matter-what, then the 20%ish in the middle are, de facto, the only ones that matter, politically, because they are the ones that can sway election results.

Idk. My state is red enough that it doesn’t matter how I vote. I still vote but ultimately it doesn’t matter.

How come inflation is so high in European countries then? Did we give them checks too?

1 Like

We’re not in a recession yet. Unfortunately the Fed’s slowness to change policies and the continued excess spending of the Federal Government juicing demand when we have a supply crunch has put us in a position where the only ways left to bring inflation under control will put us into a recession. Likely within a year to 18 months at most.

i heard this is stagflation. The worst of both worlds

don’t think he cares. Just likes to grab em

1 Like

I wish that were true. Unfortunately, the left 40% and the right 40% don’t necessarily all come out and vote.

Sometimes, instead of competing for the middle, they try to get the extremes to vote.

The real problem is that if the extremes don’t vote in force that party loses. So they throw out the respective ret meat to stir up the base and then try not to alienate the middle too much. Leave the independents with a choice between a duche and turd.

1 Like

or, “continued under-taxing by the Federal Government”

Either one would reduce the fiscal push for inflation. Cutting spending wouldn’t have much immediate impact because most spending is locked in, even if Congress could agree to cut it.

OTOH, if Congress had the guts, they could knock inflation down very quickly by increasing the FIT.

That’s politically painful, so yes, they will probably just let the Fed raise interest rates until they create a recession.

2 Likes

Can I get a “Amen”?

Even Diane Sawyer needed Katie Couric

I don’t know what this means. All I’m saying is that I can vote for any “middle” candidate (if there is one) and they will never win here. If I weren’t registered R, I often wouldn’t have a vote at all in state/local elections bc the primary often decides the election, that’s how red this place is. Where I live, R primaries are only open to registered R’s. D primaries are open (but rarely happen).

We didn’t, but they have social safety nets too.

And certainly some of our spending trickles to foreign countries. For example, just today I purchased wines from Italy, Portugal, Spain, and France, as well as beer from Belgium, ice cream from Taiwan, and probably stuff that was made in China. Hubby goes to Paris somewhat regularly and often brings back chocolate or pastries or chocolate pastries, not to mention all his (American) employer spends on Parisian hotels & restaurants & transportation.