Realizations about songs

I didn’t care about the spelling - people would figure out who I was referring to.

Do we still have that :oyh: smiley?

I understand - I just don’t particularly care.

Meh, my first dance song wasn’t about love but we liked it and it sounded nice. We also requested our band play songs that are more anti-love/breakup themed during the reception because they were some of our favorite songs. I think a lot of people know the real meaning of songs but don’t care because they like them anyway.

A couple more patriotic songs that have been on my mind for some reason:

A verse from America the Beautiful:

This seems mostly to be talking about people fighting in wars and what not. Why “mercy”? I mean, I don’t know if they love mercy or not, but when I think of qualities of a soldier, “is a big fan of mercy” doesn’t come to mind.

Then there’s a song one of the directors of the choir I sing with wrote. Like most patriotic songs, it’s a real cheesefest, but it’s mostly all right:

First lines:

It’s sad that he couldn’t find anything better for mothers than “sewed flags”. If you want a traditional mother thing, something like “taught children sitting on their knee” is right there (of course, in better meter than I can do off the top of my head).

“Foreign Children” just doesn’t fit right.

That took me a minute. :laughing:

Well, I hope no one is “offended” by it.

I had another revelation about a patriotic song.

In “My Country, 'Tis of Thee”, there is a line that says “land of the pilgrim’s pride”.

Wouldn’t the pilgrims have viewed pride as a bad thing?