Random questions

Confirmed… it was set to Watching. I changed it to Tracking.

1 Like

This seems like an interesting idea. Has anyone encountered one of these? What did you think?

I wonder if they’d be superior to roundabouts in high traffic intersections. I can’t imagine the bang for the buck is there in low traffic intersections, but I’m curious how they’d compare to the two-lane high traffic roundabouts. Or even highway exits.

BTW, the comments on Facebook can be summed up as:

A: This is worse than a roundabout.
B: nuh-uh
A: uh-huh
B: That’s because you’re too dumb to understand how brilliant it is.
A: No you’re too dumb to understand how awful it is.

etc.

We have two new ones nearby. Well…one and a half. The one closest to me still doesn’t have all the proper markings and is still like driving through a blob of orange with all the traffic cones.

It appears to work fine, assuming poeple look at the correct stoplight and don’t panic and aren’t drunk. I’ve found transitioning on and off the interstate to be easier thus far, but the one closest to me has literally been there a week, so tbd.

1 Like

There was one near me in Colorado before we moved, and one on my way to the Costco here in the KC area. If you don’t look at the flow diagram like you posted above, they just seem bewildering. I’m not a traffic engineer, but I suspect they have more throughput than a roundabout, unless it’s one of those giant roundabouts like you sometimes see in Europe. Which would be equally bewildering.

After you drive one a few times and look at how they work, they make sense and they are pretty easy to navigate.

1 Like

Ashford Dunwoody (exit 29) and I-285 in ATL has had one for a while (11+ years if my mom is to be believed, but i am not so sure). It doesn’t eliminate left turn crossing traffic, now all thru and left turn traffic crosses oncoming traffic (no cross at left turn point though) Seems fine once you know where to go. I’ll leave it up to the traffic engineers to describe which conditions make it a better option than the traditional intersections or roundabouts. I think they are planning to use it for an interchange they are adding near me in 2026 time frame. It might make some people’s head explode, so that will be fun.

1 Like

There are a few in the Chicago area that I’ve encountered.

I think this also summarizes my initial take on the interchange. It can catch you “off guard” if you’re not paying attention to things.

But once you’re “aware” of the new traffic flow, I like these very much since there are only two signal controls that are only controlling whether the “red” direction is moving or the “blue” direction.

2 Likes

I am aware of a few in my area that have been implemented for higher volume exits from the interstate. I believe a standard highway exist requires 4 distinct light cycles, a single point interchange requires 3, and this one only requires 2 (as VA pointed out). It also seems to allow for 3 lanes of traffic in each direction on the overpass where two lanes and 1-2 left turn lanes each direction previously existed.

1 Like

I’ve got one near me on a highway that has stoplights. It’s fine. Don’t hate it. Don’t love it. The problem it solves (lots of t-bone :cut_of_meat: collisions) is probably more significant than the problems it creates (having to swerve at 60 mph and praying that the driver next to you stays within their boundaries).

If car crashes only took out the stupid I’d be less in favor of safety.

1 Like

Hey P&C friends… got a question for you.

If you buy pet insurance through your employer and the animal being insured (this policy is specific to a particular animal) dies during the year… I assume the employer stops the payroll deductions mid-year, right?

Certainly for life or medical you’d stop paying mid-year so I assumed pet insurance would be the same, but I hate to assume.

I would treat that coverage the same as any other P&C product; once the insurable interest no longer exists (in this case, the pet), there is no need for coverage.

Right… it’s obviously not needed once the animal dies, it’s just a question of whether or not the employer would stop the deductions. It’s not like a qualifying life event where you can change coverage options between open enrollments.

And the answer you might be looking for is best answered by your company’s HR department.

Will things stop on their own? They won’t know about the change unless you tell them. As for whether they’ll stop the coverage right then and there . . . or when the deduction stops . . . that’s something no one here is going to know.

As far as I understand things, you can’t add/increase coverage until open enrollment unless there a life-change event. Stopping/cancelling coverage shouldn’t depend on open enrollment.

For example, my daughter got her full-time job that had insurance benefits. I just notified my insurance company to drop her from coverage. No need to verify a “life-changing event”.

You can cancel your pet insurance coverage w/o any need to prove a life-changing event (but you can’t add it back until open-enrollment).

i’d second this. even if they stop the coverage I am not sure how nimble the HR system is to stop withholding the premium from your check

I’m asking for a friend who probably isn’t curious enough to inquire. I was just wondering if there was a standard way this is normally handled.

Email question:

How do you capitalize the subjects of your emails?

Sentence-like or news-article-like?

For example:

Please update my contact information

–or–

Please Update My Contact Information

This

News-article like.

1 Like

The neighbor with the shitty yard paid to put in a pear tree. OK, fine. Also paid to put in some shrub / flowery thing. OK, whatever. Folks who did it had to dig out at least 3 thistles, the smallest of which was knee-high on an adult. :upside_down_face:

Also paid to put in a maple tree. Because, there are no ways to get seedlings from a maple tree after you ignore the dozens of maple trees growing in the area.

:thinking: I wonder how long they’ll all survive given that she doesn’t take care of anything in the yard to begin with.

1 Like

RAnSoM nOtE stYLe

3 Likes